SOLVED Sound card not responding properly

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old desktop that's been working flawlessly since day one.
It was originally built with W7 x64. I like this pc because it has 3X 3TB HDD, 24GB RAM and every thing.
I decide to give it a freshen up and installed W10 x64 during the holidays.
It was a clean install from scratch with a legit license.
Since the install, the sound card is only playing in stereo with my 4.1 speaker system.
Since it was a Creative card with no W10 drivers available, I replaced it with a new Asus Xonar SE
I did install it with the driver pack provided with the card but I still have the same problem
I looked at Asus website and I have the latest drivers for that card.
If I go to Control panel / sound / speakers / configure and try the test button, all of the speakers are working fine.
Same thing if I open their Xonar audio center, it is configured in quadraphonic and I can hear the test tone in each speaker.
I tried to listen at a MP3 with Winamp, VLC, Media player but the rear speakers aren't pushing any sound.
It has to be Windows related since it always been working with W7 and it only appear with the upgrade
Anyone here with a suggestion?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

have you opened Control Panel > Sound and checked all the properties there?. Are the drivers you installed for Win 10 and if not, did you install the drivers in "Compatibility Mode"?. ;)

1610011149850.png

Reaction score
I tried every options given in sound settings but can you explain more about compatibility mode. If I go to device manager / sound / update drivers, it just confirm that I have the latest ones. Thanks

Reaction score
I tried different options and I finally got the surround speakers to work by setting an environment effect through Xonar Audio control panel. I can't say I understand their approach but at least all 4 speakers are now working. Certainly different from Creative sound blaster. Thanks

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old desktop that's been working flawlessly since day one.
It was originally built with W7 x64. I like this pc because it has 3X 3TB HDD, 24GB RAM and every thing.
I decide to give it a freshen up and installed W10 x64 during the holidays.
It was a clean install from scratch with a legit license.
Since the install, the sound card is only playing in stereo with my 4.1 speaker system.
Since it was a Creative card with no W10 drivers available, I replaced it with a new Asus Xonar SE
I did install it with the driver pack provided with the card but I still have the same problem
I looked at Asus website and I have the latest drivers for that card.
If I go to Control panel / sound / speakers / configure and try the test button, all of the speakers are working fine.
Same thing if I open their Xonar audio center, it is configured in quadraphonic and I can hear the test tone in each speaker.
I tried to listen at a MP3 with Winamp, VLC, Media player but the rear speakers aren't pushing any sound.
It has to be Windows related since it always been working with W7 and it only appear with the upgrade
Anyone here with a suggestion?

Thanks
I just ran my disk again after disabling the onboard card also I got a kick out of your post because I have a desktop since 2009 still going strong..I actually figured I was the only one with something that old but it runs good and I’m slow enough that it’s plenty fast lol. It’s a 32 bit x64 running Windows 10 21H2 that I’ve jacked up here and there but pretty much stock.. I even been playing Asphalt 9 it’s a old emachine and we’re out here Rockin The Web With a Xonar SE

Reaction score
All I’m trying to do is to get 4 speakers to work it just wouldn’t do it for whatever reason with the onboard card anymore so this Xonar.. I’m fixin to find out in about 10 minutes.

Ask a Question