SOUND DRIVER FORCED UPDATES THAT AREN'T WANTED

Reaction score
In my Windows 10, 64-bit, Asus computer is a sound program, Conexant HD Audio 8.66.89.52. Occasionally, my speakers will give a “snap” sound, sometimes when I start to play a song using Windows Media Player and, more often, when I am on any Yahoo webpage. It is mildly annoying.

Windows Update keeps trying to download and install a newer version of this Conexant driver, 8.66.95.65, which is interesting because Conexant went out of business in 2018. The newer version snaps relentlessly, when I play every song and when I open or close any browser tab. It never stops snapping.

When I delete the new version and download and install the old version, Windows Update corrects my “mistake,” giving me the new, snapping version again. I have even set the computer to not download and install any driver updates, but Windows Update ignores the setting and does it anyway. I have now turned off all Windows Updates for the next 35 days, after which Windows Updates will once again force this snapping driver update upon my computer.

I guess I can live with having to rectify this problem every 35 days. I hate Microsoft for forcing these crappy updates upon its customers. I hate Asus for forcing its customers to use a dysfunctional sound driver from a company that has been out of business for over three years. Poo on both companies.

Reaction score
You can disable automatic driver updates. Go to Settings --> System --> About (on the left column) --> Click on Advanced system settings (almost to the bottom of the page), click the Hardware tab, then Device Installation Settings. Check "No", then save changes. Note that this will prevent all drivers from being updated through Windows Updates though.

Ask a Question