Stationery in Win10 Mail: workaround?

Reaction score
Hi there. We purchased a Win10-based computer for my mother (80+) who was used to Windows Live Mail on her Windows Vista computer. Win10 Mail is quite simplified, which is a good thing, although any change is a bit challenging/annoying for her.

She's an intense email user, and uses mailing groups a lot, likes to use emoticons, uses a signature, prefers fonts other than the default, and sometimes uses stationery. I'm not a Win10 user myself (sorry) but I figure out how import her many mailing groups and showed her how to add them to an email without too much pain (in WLM, she would just type the name of the group, now she needs to click the icon at the end of the To: field and type the name of the group), get emoticons from the tablet-mode keyboard (I added the button to the task bar), created a signature that does not involve HTML (we all have to make compromises!), and I showed her how to change the font but it has to be done each time.

So I found workarounds for everything so far except stationery.

Any suggestions?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi schiette,

Welcome to the Forum.

Given your mothers age it may be a lot simpler to install Windows Essential 2012 on the computer and choose Windows Live Mail during installation.

Windows 10 Mail is still being developed and while reasonable is far from what your mother would be used to.

You can download the offline installer for Windows Essential 2012 freely here:

http://g.live.com/1rewlive5-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe (Please check download with antivirus software before running).

Note: As Microsoft no longer support this application and its packages officially, you will need to use the offline installer as the web installer is now no longer available. Also, note that there will be no further security updates for Windows Live Mail 2012, however, it will still work fine.

Additionally, some ISPs require security settings you may not be able to apply to Windows Live Mail 2012, although in many cases simply choosing an imap setup rather than pop3 will allow it to function fine with things like Gmail, and other web-based email providers.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question