Stop code message - Can I fix without buying an repair product?

SNM

Reaction score
I keep getting "stop code we are collecting information and then will shut down" messages, like others, but when I click on the repair option, I get products that I have to buy to complete the repair. Is there a way a "non techie" can fix this without buying a program? The response at the windows.com/stopecode address is very misleading and you don't find out about having to buy a product until you are ready to hit repair. Hate that! How you fix stop code and repair the damage the product finds without folding to the forced buy? I am running windows 10 (OS Build 17134-885).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not knowing what the errors are I'd try updating to the latest Version and build, currently Version 1903 Build 18362.267. If the errors continue it may be necessary to do a System Reset or reinstall Windows.

Reaction score
What products are being offered to repair the issue? As far as I know, Microsoft does not sell repair tools. I would be extremely suspicious.

Reaction score
if it needs a third party product like a program you have to buy, then my advice would be delete everything and start over cause your computer is compromised and that message is really not from windows but a virus, malware or something like that that wants you to buy some program to fix it. Usually THAT program makes it even worse as it downloads even more malware.

Try to run an Antivirus scan with Malwarebytes : https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
try the free version. if your computer blocks it, you are infected with something, otherwise MB should find something and remove it...

Just my two cents . . .

Reaction score
I keep getting "stop code we are collecting information and then will shut down" messages, like others, but when I click on the repair option, I get products that I have to buy to complete the repair. Is there a way a "non techie" can fix this without buying a program? The response at the windows.com/stopecode address is very misleading and you don't find out about having to buy a product until you are ready to hit repair. Hate that! How you fix stop code and repair the damage the product finds without folding to the forced buy? I am running windows 10 (OS Build 17134-885).
Upgrade to the latest Release 18362.267

Reaction score
Isn't that message usually associated with a Blue Screen error? Do you have dump files which would be located in \Windows as Memory.dmp or in Windows\minidump..

You can put perfmon /rel in a run box and get a graph showing problems and select an event to get info.

There is also a \Windows\LiveKernel\Reports

If you find any dump files, zip them and attach in the forum.

Ask a Question