Super slow boot

Reaction score
This problem has been driving me nuts for months, I am no novice, I ran my own computer consulting and programming business for 20 years and this one has just completely beat me.

If I come in my office in the morning, power the computer up, the BIOS whips by in 4-6 seconds and Windows 10 Pro starts booting. Great!

However, if I reboot the computer (power off/on or warm boot) at any time during the day the BIOS (and the little whirling circle) are on the screen for 4-7 minutes at least before Windows starts booting! I have tried everything I can think of, made sure BIOS on motherboard/video card are up to date (even reinstalled both of them with updates from EVGA/NVIDIA websites), disabled everything in the startup function of Windows 10 Pro. Ran chkdsk, sfcscan, and every utility and/or troubleshooter I could think of and the problem still persists. It has been doing this for several months but I have only had time in recent days to really attack the problem in detail. No luck. Anyone got any ideas?, they sure would be welcome. Thanks in advance for any help.

Windows 10 Pro (all updated via "Check for updates"
EVGA Z370 motherboard
i7 8700 (not overclocked)
64GB RAM DDR3
Latest BIOS on motherboard and video card
NVIDIA GEFORCE TITAN X (EVGA)
Drive C: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 2TB
3 Internal HDD (for backups)

Reaction score
It happens all the time. It started about two or three months ago. I have an EVGA Z370 FTW motherboard with 64 GB of memory, drive C is a Samsung solid-state drive. I have 3 internal hard disk drives that I use for backups. In short when I turn on the computer or do a soft reboot the bios page appears with the circle and it takes anywhere between five and seven minutes for windows to boot. I have been a computer consultant and programmer for nearly 30 years, I know Windows 10 inside and out. This particular problem is the only one in all those years that is just simply stumped me. I have updated the bios on the motherboard, on the video card, reformatted the three internal hard disks, Windows 10 is up to date. I have no problem with any programs whatsoever that are on the hard disk. I am completely stumped! I have tried disconnecting the three internal hard disks in case they were causing the problem amongst any number of other things such as SFC, and other Microsoft utilities to determine the health of the computer, all of them come back with no problems at all. I finally gave up and did something that I hate to do and that is contact Microsoft technical support. They were of no help whatsoever. I am simply lost and have no idea where to look, it seems to me I have done everything possible. I hesitate greatly to do a Windows reset, I have a lot of client data on the hard disk (SSD) and do not trust Windows reset to not destroy some of that data even though I would have specified retain personal data. I hope I have explained myself properly, this is absolute madness. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate the interest and help.

Reaction score
Have you ever tried an in-place repair upgrade?

I did this twice for my PC when nothing else could fix problems, and everything--data, apps, and settings--were preserved. However, I backed up the drive first before doing so.

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information. I did create a repair tool following the instructions in the link that you gave me. I only have one concern, the link that you gave me said it would be asking for a registration key for Windows 10. Doesn't have a registration key per se, it is "activated with digital license to Microsoft account". I'm getting ready to do a backup before proceeding with the repair desk. Only trouble is, little worried about when it comes to that question how am I going to answer it in regards to the Windows registration code. Maybe somebody else has done that and has some input about it. I'm a little nervous about proceeding without knowing about that. Again, thanks so much for your input.

Reaction score
unplug the power cable try a reseat of the memory chipset earth you self to the case befor touching the chips.
check bios version at gigabyte web site and in the bios settings it is showing the correct date and time
also the access level is Administrator go to save and exit set optimized defaults click on it save and exit setup
I have a Z370 m.board to to check the ssd or hdd get a free tool called "crystaldiskinfo" it will tell if the drives are failing

Reaction score
I did the Windows .iso thing hoping I would not run into the registration key thing I mentioned earlier, and lucklily I did not run into the problem. The reset went perfectly with no problems but it did not solve the problem. I will try what John Steadman suggested today or tomorrow. It seems like the problem is actually getting worse and worse with boot times taking longer and longer. Now up around 5-8 minutes to boot. I disconnected all of the hard drives leaving only the C drive (Samsung EVO) just to see if that had any effect, which it did not. I reformatted all three of the backup drives (not the quick format, used the regular format), reconnected them one by one with no help thus apparently ruling out the backup drives being involved.. Windows 10 runs great once it is booted and I have never had a problem with it in normal operation. Having done all that it is my inclination this is some sort of hardware problem. BIOS (EVGA) is up to date, numerous memory tests show no problem at any time, resetting CMOS/BIOS does not fix it. This is a tough one! I'll try the Crystaldiskinfo to see if that helps but the tests I have already done on the drives pretty much rules them out as being the problem but I'll try it out anyway. I am getting to the point where I am thinking of a new and up to date motherboard, memory and just basically replace the entire show. This is really getting old!

Reaction score
Well, I have tried everything I can possibly dream up. Just giving up in frustration. It seems to be getting worse. I cannot get a handle or a clue to lead me in the right direction. No software or hardware is giving me any reason to lean in one direction or the other. Very frustrating.
Reinstalled windows, made sure motherboard, memory, drives etc. are not the problem yet it persists. Maddening! Talked with EVGA tech support, they gave me several ideas to try, which I tried them all, no dice!! I have been in the computer business for 30 years (consulting, networks, commercial and industrial programming). NOTHING has ever beaten me like this one. I was thinking of going to Win 11 or doing major hardware upgrade/replacement but nothing gives me a clue on where the problem lies and what direction to lean towards, Software or Hardware. Maddening.

Reaction score
I suggest copying the batch file disable-dnscache-service-win.bat from here:

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts/blob/master/disable-dnscache-service-win.bat

... and within File Manager, use a right-mouse click (popup menu) to run that script with Administrator access.

Background:

Long ago I replaced the standard small (basically empty) hosts file with a large custom hosts file from Steven Black:

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

Over the last year my household's three Windows 10 laptops took longer and longer to boot: between 5 to 10 minutes or longer, sometimes as long as a half hour. All taskbar icons missing and an hourglass or spinning wheel instead of a mouse pointer. I could press <Ctrl>Alt><Del> and launch the Task Manager, but that's all. No operating system for a while; and even after the OS settled down, there'd be issues connecting to the internet. Often attempts would result in: Connected, no internet.

Because I regularly [try to] update Windows and update the hosts file, and several reboots were needed, this became a miserable experience. In the end, I replaced the custom hosts file with the original tiny hosts file, and there was a miraculous improvement. Replacing the original hosts file with a large custom hosts file bought the system to its knees.

Also noticed that launching the Task Manager as Administrator, and under the Processes tab, under Windows Processes heading, there was a process named something like Service Host: DNS Cache Service, using a fair bit of CPU. Trying to disable this gave a warning that this would crash Windows; but I tried and noticed many taskbar icons appeared and the OS behaved itself. This made me look closer at the recommendation(s) to turn off the DNS caching service by running a script.

I have tried running that script on two Microsoft Surface laptops: an old Surface Pro 4 and a newish hinged (not-Pro) laptop. Both Windows 10.

Reaction score
Rereading your message I see everytime you first see a BIOS screen, then it takes a long time to boot. My "solution" has nothing to do with BIOS, but I did have a very long, worsening boot (and problems connecting to internet) with Windows 10 Home. I had tried many things including restoring Windows only (leaving data in place) and the SFC. My suggestion still might help someone.

Reaction score
I have been seeing exactly the same issue for 2 to 4 months now. Otherwise, once up and running my PC works just fine with apps like Office 365 and high end graphics games.
So, I suspect its something in the Win 10 software and nothing to do with my hardware or BIOS.
For the record, I keep it up-to-date regularly.
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2022-‎03-‎27
OS build 19044.2486
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Reaction score
I totally agree, you and I have exactly the same experience, Maddening!

Reaction score
Your problem sounds quite perplexing and I have given it a lot of thought. To be truthful I think I would replace the motherboard and, hopefully, move on. In your original post your description suggests that after warming up, the machine seems to be getting stuck in bios before it actually hits the os. That tends to tell me that the problem is electronic. Possibly a bottle neck in the bridge or even a processor. I’m sure the tests have been performed but I still believe it is hardware. I love the Samsung SSD and that’s what I use. However when my first one started going out I had a similar problem to yours albeit less severe. I’m simply saying that if your work is important and needs to be well backed up then either shotgun the problem or buy another machine and tinker with yours later if you’re still curious.

Reaction score
For what it's worth I have been in the computer business for as long as you have so also very experienced in this field. With any working PC you should never see the BIOS screen for longer than it takes to press DEL if you need to get into the settings. I would proceed like this:
Set another device (USB drive or DVD) as the boot drive and see if they boot immediately. If they do the issue could be your Samsung SSD being overheated and taking some time to cool before it starts working. Test it by cloning your boot drive to another drive and then booting from that. You can use Speccy from Piriform to see the temps of your hardware.

Reaction score
just a guess but do you use the start button to shut down? there may be a programing check caused by an improper shut down error.
if you just hitting the power button rather than going though the software shut down process. < does it happen when you do shut the pc down properly? though the start menu and shut down button?

Reaction score
I did the Windows .iso thing hoping I would not run into the registration key thing I mentioned earlier, and lucklily I did not run into the problem. The reset went perfectly with no problems but it did not solve the problem. I will try what John Steadman suggested today or tomorrow. It seems like the problem is actually getting worse and worse with boot times taking longer and longer. Now up around 5-8 minutes to boot. I disconnected all of the hard drives leaving only the C drive (Samsung EVO) just to see if that had any effect, which it did not. I reformatted all three of the backup drives (not the quick format, used the regular format), reconnected them one by one with no help thus apparently ruling out the backup drives being involved.. Windows 10 runs great once it is booted and I have never had a problem with it in normal operation. Having done all that it is my inclination this is some sort of hardware problem. BIOS (EVGA) is up to date, numerous memory tests show no problem at any time, resetting CMOS/BIOS does not fix it. This is a tough one! I'll try the Crystaldiskinfo to see if that helps but the tests I have already done on the drives pretty much rules them out as being the problem but I'll try it out anyway. I am getting to the point where I am thinking of a new and up to date motherboard, memory and just basically replace the entire show. This is really getting old!

Reaction score
J fail,
I run a student lab and had similar problems with extreme boot times. Don’t know if this has been suggested or if you have tried but I found a solution to my problem by resetting BIOS to factory settings.
~Phil

Reaction score
First of all I want to thank ALL of you for your valuable input, experience and ideas.

PATTYANDME:
I never use the power button to shut down. I always use the Windows shut down procedure. There have been times in the past where a computer has gotten so screwed up i "had" to use the power button to shut down but those have rare.

KENHEART:
Done that several times in attempts to isolate the problem to hardware or software. I have gone so far as to remove all other drives, reformat them etc. No luck. I have run many, many diagnostic programs on Drive C with no problems reported as well as in depth memory tests which all came back ok. That is what has been the hardest about this problem, trying to at least determine if the problem is hardware or software which of course at least gives you a direction to work in. But, nothing has given me that direction.

LETMEBREAKIT:
I am very inclined to agree with you as the way to proceed (Shotgun! the darn thing, my words of course). Expensive of course, need new faster memory, CPU etc. to at least get up to date with the latest technology. On the other hand I really don't care what it costs if it solves the problem. I am gonna think about this for another day or two and will probably pursue hardware as the source of the problem. Gotta pickup on the best motherboard, memory, CPU to buy. Don't really give a D___ what it costs as long as I can fix it and move on. I live in a 55+ Community and support a lot of residents who have computers but don't know the first thing about them (i.e. Windows, Hardware etc.) so they depend on me for help a significant amount of the time.

PHLIM: Tried that more times than I can count. And yes, the BIOS is up-to-date, downloaded it and applied it several times.

Again, thanks so much to all of you for your input and help.

John

Ask a Question