Switching off Onedrive

Reaction score
I never want to use OneDrive and I have tried all the procedures I have found on the net to get rid of it, but they are all impossible because they contain steps that cannot be found on my Windows10 laptop. It can be temporarily switched off at the Onedrive button in the bottom right corner, but it is back on when next powering on. The message ‘downloading data’ appears, but I have never knowingly saved anything on Onedrive, so I am wondering what is going on.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Go to: start, settings, apps, apps and features, then scroll down for onedrive, select it, then click uninstall. Works every time.

Reaction score
Many thanks. Unfortunately I can’t try it until my laptop finishes uploading files totalling 1.7GB to OneDrive. I get the message that I must try again when uploading is finished. I can’t even abort the transfer using various suggestions on the web because there is always one non-existent step. My WiFi data rate is only about 50KB/s, so it should finish some time tomorrow. I am fed up with Windows10.

Reaction score
Many thanks. Unfortunately I can’t try it until my laptop finishes uploading files totalling 1.7GB to OneDrive. I get the message that I must try again when uploading is finished. I can’t even abort the transfer using various suggestions on the web because there is always one non-existent step. My WiFi data rate is only about 50KB/s, so it should finish some time tomorrow. I am fed up with Windows10.
That's some slow Internet speed! In this case, I'd try disconnecting from the Internet to stop the upload and then uninstalling OneDrive.

Reaction score
You should always be able to close onedrive at any given time or at least pause syncing, then go to onedrive settings and unlink the account. After that you should be able to uninstall it (at least it is that way in the Win10 pro version)..

Reaction score
Thanks again. I have Windows10 Home Edition. It is still uploading about 30% of a picture file. When it finishes the situation will be that I have the original copy in my PC hard drive and a backup in OneDrive. If I now unlink OneDrive, will this delete the original copy in my PC? I will make another copy on an external hard drive before I try to turn off OneDrive. I now have another problem: I have noticed that there is another folder called Cloud Backup On Line. It contains several GB of pictures which I do not recall putting anywhere. Can I delete this folder so that I gain control over this dreaded computer?

Reaction score
If you unlink your cloud drive from your computer then you just disconnect the computers. Your files will be untouched, meaning nothing will be erased from your computer as well as the cloud server. You just disconnect these two devices.
I do not know about that particular folder as I do not have that one. might want to check your settings:

2020-12-25_212405.jpg

Especially the [Manage Backup] is a killer. I have 'backed up' my desktop files to it and it deleted all my files and links from the desktop. they are still in the onedrive folder on the computer but not on the desktop anymore once one has created a backup.

Last edited:

Ask a Question