System crashes after 10016 error and now trustedinstaller issues

Reaction score
Hi,

I had sudden recent system crashes (c. 2 or 3 random times a day) where the screen and mouse stayed static. Occasionally, it was instead a BSOD. I checked the event viewer according to online instructions and found that this was a "event 1016" error. I duly found mentions of a fix online via editing the registry keys, but I could never manage to successfully change the permissions despite following the detailed instructions carefully. I then found a simple explanation involving setting permissions via right clicking on ThisPC properties section and then enabling permissions/full-control to all categories. Trouble is that I managed to accidentally delete the trustedinstaller category. I now find that online comments suggest that doing so is catastrophic and I don't know how to fix it. I have tried sfc /scannow and the Dism..RestoreHealth commands, and they don't seem to have found any errors. My question is, is this trustedinstaller removal seriously dangerous or not an issue for windows 10? If it is necessary, how do I get it back? Umm, I will reboot and see if the trustedinstaller is back! Sorry. Back in 5 minutes....

Reaction score
I should obviously mention that it was the trustedinstaller.exe under the c folder I managed to delete. A reboot currently shows that trustedinstaller is still missing from the various other categories....

Reaction score
Hi Dmitri

create a new local user account and make it "Admin", then make your changes using that account, either keep the account active or revert back to the old one afterwards!. ;)

Reaction score
A 10016 error is not a bug check code so you might look for another type of entry which specifies one. They happen all the time, although you may have a specific one which could cause problems.

Also, check in the Windows for a Memory.dmp file or in the Windows\Minidump folder for any entries.

There is also another location which can hold dump files at Windows\LiveKernelReports

Ask a Question