SOLVED System Recovery folder huge and growing

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and after a week noted that my C: drive had a new System Recovery folder that was about 10GB in size. Currently, the folder has reached 20GB and I noted that daily multiple recovery files of 34MB are added. Since my C: drive is an SSD with limited storage, does anyone know how to put an upper limit on the size of this folder or alternatively, how to delete the folder without losing significant Windows 10 functionality? Thanks...

Reaction score
You can run disk cleanup.

Type disk cleanup in the search.
Select the drive you want cleaned, click ok.
On the bottom left, click Clean up system files (select drive again and click ok).
Go down the list and select which ones you want deleted.

Deleting them won't hurt functionality, other than you won't be able to revert back to a previous version of windows. You'd have to reinstall it from scratch, if you wanted to go back.

Reaction score
You can run disk cleanup.

Type disk cleanup in the search.
Select the drive you want cleaned, click ok.
On the bottom left, click Clean up system files (select drive again and click ok).
Go down the list and select which ones you want deleted.

Deleting them won't hurt functionality, other than you won't be able to revert back to a previous version of windows. You'd have to reinstall it from scratch, if you wanted to go back.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, however, I have tried disk cleanup including system file cleanup and it has no effect on the System Recovery folder size. Also, I tried going to control panel, system, system protection panel and deleting all restore points. This again had no impact on the size of the System Recovery folder. I am using the "Tree Size" program to see in detail all of the hidden and non-hidden files on my SSD C: drive.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, however, I have tried disk cleanup including system file cleanup and it has no effect on the System Recovery folder size. Also, I tried going to control panel, system, system protection panel and deleting all restore points. This again had no impact on the size of the System Recovery folder. I am using the "Tree Size" program to see in detail all of the hidden and non-hidden files on my SSD C: drive.

Some further information... Daily, 4 backup/recovery files are added to the System Recovery folder, each file being about 35MB in size. Todate, none of the older backup files are being deleted, so the folder just continues to grow. It is now up to 25GB in size.

Reaction score
An update. The System Recovery folder has now reached 30GB in size and there is no indication that it will stop growing by 4 backup/recovery files daily or about 150MB/day...

Reaction score
you can go to settings and turn automatic backup off there is settings in control panel as well (2nd pic)

Attachments

• backup.JPG
    backup.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 8,744
  • recovery.JPG
    recovery.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 8,193
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the suggestion, however I checked my Update/Security settings and the "File History" option was off.

Reaction score
My System Recovery folder reached 35GB today. Since I happen to have a support contract with Dell Computers for my Dell XPS 8700 system, I contacted them regarding this problem. After checking, they advised my that these growing backups are apparently a standard part of Windows 10 Backup/Recovery and that there is no settings option to limit the numbers of backups. Their solution was to change the file access authorizations for the System Recovery folder to allow me access to the backup files (otherwise a protected Systems file). We then deleted some 15GB of backup files, leaving about 20GB of systems files that Dell recommended not touching. Henceforth when the folder grows too large, I will have to manually delete the backup files. A solution to my problem but not a very satisfactory one. It makes no sense that Microsoft would not have a backup/recovery setting to address this issue.

Reaction score
A Windows 10 user recently advised me that none of his 3 Windows 10 systems has a separate System Recovery folder on his C: drive (he does have the normal System Volume Information folder). Can any of you Windows 10 users confirm that you as well don't have this pesky separate multi-gigabyte System Recovery folder on your C: drives? Thanks...

Reaction score
A number of Windows 10 users have told me that they do not have a separate System Recovery folder. Given this and since the folder has now reached 43GB in size, I decided to try to erase the folder. I used the TreeSize free app to display all of the the C: drive user and systems hidden folders. It runs in administrative mode and allows unlimited access to the sub folders within the System Recovery folder (which itself remains a System controlled only folder). I deleted the Recovery sub folder which had all of the 43GB of recovery files. The deletion worked fine and I shall now see over the next several days whether there are any adverse Windows 10 consequences.

Reaction score
It's been 10 days and so far, no adverse Windows 10 consequences from my having erased the growing System Recovery folder. I have not tried to do a normal Windows systems recovery, but since those backup are in a separate folder (System Volume Information), I don't believe that it would be affected. I believe that this issue is now closed.

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Pro on my work computer and I have that very same folder. It's interfering with my Microsoft Security Essentials scan, because it looks like it's rescanning everything in my other folders.

I do have the "Get Windows 10" icon and have reserved it a few months ago to be installed. Since it's a work computer, I have to backup the entire computer to make sure the 'upgrade' goes well.

It's been 10 days and so far, no adverse Windows 10 consequences from my having erased the growing System Recovery folder. I have not tried to do a normal Windows systems recovery, but since those backup are in a separate folder (System Volume Information), I don't believe that it would be affected. I believe that this issue is now closed.

Reaction score
chapelle, you have noted you have a Dell computer.
JerryFerreira is yours a Dell also?
Is there a possibility this folder might be generated by the Dell Back-up & Recovery program and is not a Windows generated folder?
I have the same growing folder on my Dell Windows 10 SSD...42GB at this point!
I also have an HP computer running W10 and it does not have this folder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
AndrewB, Hi. I actually wondered about my Dell Back-up & Recovery app being a potential cause of my continuously growing Recovery folder. I stopped using that app after I deleted the contents of the Recovery folder and perhaps coincidentally, the Recovery folder as not grown since. Perhaps just coincidence but let us know if you ever solve the root cause of this issue.

Reaction score
chapelle,

After the Recovery folder reached 50GB I could not ignore it any more! I deleted the Dell Backup & Recovery program and not only did the program get deleted, but the (growing) Recovery folder was removed as well. So the folder was a part of the Dell Backup & Recovery program, no question. Clearly there is a problem with this program, at the rate the Recovery folder was growing it would have consumed my SSD eventually. I have back-up HDD drives and a back-up computer to keep me, well, backed-up. Windows 10 has a decent recovery media (USB drive) feature, so my feeling is the Dell Backup & Recovery was bloatware anyway. It kept prompting me to "upgrade"...to a paid version! That in itself is a red-flag. Anyway, I now have 50GB of usable SSD space back with no apparent operation issues.

Reaction score
I have an alienware 17. I removed the Alienware Respawn program which constantly asked me to upgrade and create factory recovery media and the System Recovery folder is gone and I got my 60 gigs back.
THANK GOD for Andrew8's response, I never thought it was the dell software.

Reaction score
I can confirm it is the Dell Backup and Recovery software. I removed the program and it deleted the hidden system recovery folder (which was only visible using tree size and at 36GB on my SSD)

Reaction score
I am so pleased I found this thread! Dell Backup and Recovery had created a 473GB file on my HD. I was down to my last few GB's.
Uninstalling the programme cleared the file. Thanks to everyone above for working this out.

Reaction score
I have an alienware 17. I removed the Alienware Respawn program which constantly asked me to upgrade and create factory recovery media and the System Recovery folder is gone and I got my 60 gigs back.
THANK GOD for Andrew8's response, I never thought it was the dell software.

Thanks a lot, literally as soon as I saw the part "Alienware 17", I was like WOW SERIOUSLY. Exactly the same problem as you thanks a lot. While reading this thread about Dell Backup & Recovery, Alienware Respawn did cross my mind but I thought no surely not. I can confirm that this was my issue. Amazing Dell well done!

Ask a Question