SOLVED System Volume Information - FileProtector folder

Reaction score
I recently noticed a significant drop in my SSD C: drive available space. The cause was a new 43GB FileProtector folder which I found in the C: drive Windows 10 System Volume Information folder. Has anyone else seen this folder on their C: drive and do you have any idea as to which app is creating the folder? I only have 256 GB on my C: drive SSD so if the folder continues to grow I may have to risk just deleting it.

Reaction score
Have you anything new installed recently where a program was unknowingly installed with it??
I checked on my SSD and the System Volume Information folder has 0Bytes and it is hidden as well...
Something sounds fishy to me........

Reaction score
Have you anything new installed recently where a program was unknowingly installed with it??
I checked on my SSD and the System Volume Information folder has 0Bytes and it is hidden as well...
Something sounds fishy to me........

I recently installed an new Western Digital external drive and used their utilities. I've asked their support group whether their apps could be responsible for the FileProtector folder and am awaiting their reply. The only other new app was an update to the Acronis backup app. I'll pose the same question to them but have been using their app for some time with no change to my C: drive capacities. I use the TreeSize app to display the System Volume Information folder. It shows all of the sub folders and files. I don't believe I have any new unknown apps that could be responsible.

Reaction score
I do not think Acronis is the culprit here. What bothers me, is the location of that big folder. I have external WD drives as well but I do not use their utilities. Is there any indication of what kind of files are stored there??

Reaction score
Hi. I have attached a snapshot of the System Volume Information folder...

Snap1.jpg

Reaction score
The offending program has now been identified. The updated Acronis True Image New Generation app that I installed recently has a feature called Active Protection that identifies any third-party process that tries to encrypt your files and if a file has been encrypted, allows you to recreate it from backups. The objective is to protect your system from Ransomware. The app is apparently designed to take up to 20% of the C: drive space, hence my 40GB FileProtection folder. This significant cost in disk space is not highlighted in the Acronis User Guide. I will now close this issue.

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same problem here: a gigantic 70GB "FileProtector" folder into my System volume informaition C: folder.

The problem is there is apparently no way to delete it. I tried to change the security authorizations and while according to windows the change is successful, when I try to delete the folder or its subfolders... nothing happens. uninstalling Acronis and restarting Pc didn't help.

Any suggestions? How have you solved the problem, chapelle?

Reaction score
The Acronis Active Protection Service is located in the services .msc table. You can disable it there.

Reaction score
Thank you, but I've already deactivated it, and even uninstalled True Image, and the folder is still there and I can't delete it.

Reaction score
Run the attached, agree to both queries.
Now, when you right click the folder, you will see a new option to "Take Ownership". Click that and see if you can, now, remove the folder´.

Attachments

• Add Take Ownership Option.reg
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,093
Reaction score
Thank you, even if I changed ownership manually I tried. Ran the file, right clicked on the folder, clicked on "Take Ownership", nothing changed. The weirdest thing is windows doesn't even give me an error message: when I click on the folder and select "delete", simply nothing happens. I also tried as admin from command prompt, I write del <dir>, he asks confirmation, and then does nothing.

Incredibily weird. Tnx acronis!

Reaction score
I did it!
I needed a weird brute force combination of rmdir from command prompt and a software called Lockhunter and 5-6 PC restarts. After every restart I could delete some more files.

Thank you all!

Reaction score
To Elendil: I note that you finally solved your FileProtector folder deletion problem. I was able to delete this pesky file by first unchecking the Acronis "Active Protection" option in the settings and then using one of the following file deletion programs... Filexile or FileAssassin which are available for download free of charge.

After working with the Acronis support group for weeks to identify the problem with these massive FileProtection folders, they advised me that they had found a bug with the Active Protection feature that causes this issue. They indicated that they will fix the problem in the next version of Acronis which will be released in early 2018.

Reaction score
To Chapelle: Yes, just had this problem. Upgraded recently to Acronis True Image 2018 and had the Active Protection on and within about a week my 1Tb HDD had gone from 100Gb to getting disk nearly full messages !! Tens of thousands of 25.6Mb .BLOB files being hidden away in the FileProtector (sub)folders. Had to use WizTree to view where the files were and then used IoBit Unlocker to finally clear everything out. Have now uninstalled Acronis, very unhappy with them :(

Reaction score
After working with the Acronis support group for weeks to identify the problem with these massive FileProtection folders, they advised me that they had found a bug with the Active Protection feature that causes this issue. They indicated that they will fix the problem in the next version of Acronis which will be released in early 2018.

Wow, so basically I should buy another version of the program to have it working? No thanks. I will never use an Acronis product again.

Reaction score
Old discussion I know, but I discovered this thread while searching for information about the 20GB file under System Volume/FileProtector/FileStorage. I have Acronis True Image 2021 installed, and had Active Protection turn on. So it appears they did not fix it in the next release. I was able to remove it with TakeOwnership and the TreeSizeFree app that discovered it.

Ask a Question