Task Manager not Responding

Reaction score
Lately I have been having a problem when I use the Edge and/or Mozilla Firefox browser of freezing on the screen and when I try to close them via the Task Manager nothing happens. Sometimes I can't even bring up the Task Manager because the screen seems to freeze. I have to do a hard shutdown to get my computer to respond again. How do I fix this problem.

Reaction score
Check your extensions you have running in Edge and see if eliminating them one at a time will identify if one of them is the problem.

Reaction score
nownthen I'm not sure why you would be using task manager to shut your browsers down.
Using the little Red X top right or File "Exit" top left to shut down your browsers may help.

Reaction score
Hello Norton, The reason I try to use the Task Manager to shut the browsers is because the Browser screen freezes and nothing will work. If I try to use the X or Exit to close I get an hourglass, Including the fact that I cannot even open the Task Manager or the Esc key. Nothing works. I have to do a hard shutdown (which I hate to do) and that is the only way I can get the computer working again. I don't know why this is happening - it started when I did the Anniversary Update.

Reaction score
This is the most common error message that every windows user have facing. This happens when upgrading the windows from old version to new version. I have faced this same issue when I upgrading my windows that "task manager not responding". I troubleshooting some basic steps like 1) Reboot my system. 2) Install Available Updates. 3) Sign out from current user. 4) Uninstall third party antivirus or apps. 5) Run system file scanner. 6) Repair windows image. 6) Run CCleaner. 7) Re-register the taskbar using Windows Powershell.

If the above steps are not working, then you should do fresh clean windows installation.

Reaction score
nownthen hasn't posted back for 15 months, so I guess he probably solved the problem.

Ask a Question