The system image restore failed. error 0x800703E3

Reaction score
So I just had to reinstall windows because it would not update anymore (see this thread: https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...urity-update-kb5000802-error-0x80070308.23095)

Took me 2 days getting all software installed again, doing all the settings to tweak windows into a workable system.

I made a backup image on an external hd.
Then I tried to install the backup image. (as an untested backup, is no backup at all!)
The image would not install! error 0x800703E3

The system image restore failed.
Error details: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request. (0x800703E3)

If windows keeps breaking every 1-2 years, I realy want to be able to install from an image, cos life is just to short for reinstalls.

Creating the image took quite a while and was completed succesfully, the error at install is in a few seconds. So I guess its not in the hardware or connection of hdd-hdd.

I searched for hours, that error code is always about updating windows, not about installing from an image. Even thou, I did try a lot of the things mentioned in those post, like in the previous mentioned thread.

Is there any way of installing the windows image via a linux cd?

Please, help me find a way to be able to restore from an image.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes! I got it! Just used a linux-cd to create and restore an image.

This was realy usefull:
I used linux mint 20.1, but ubuntu etc. will also do. Linux can be downloaded and burned on a cd-dvd or bootable usb stick. Make sure your bios is loading from that media.
1. boot from linux cd/dvd/usb media.
2. in the programs, search for 'disks'.
3. select the disk windows is on.
4. select 'create an image'.

Can't be any easyer then that. Restoring is the same, but then, at 4. select 'restore from image'.

Ask a Question