Suddenly I cannot restore image by running system image.

Reaction score
Windows 10 Home.

I created system image backup file at least once a week.
I did one yesterday, and today I needed to run it to restore my system.
To my horror, I cannot find way to run it.
I ran system image backup restore multiple times. I know how to do it...... until today.
Today, by the time I clicked Troubleshoot option, there is no Advanced Options to choose from.
Instead it sent me to Startup Settings option where I could go to safe mode etc,
What happens ?
Anyone has this puzzle too ?

I ended up running a system restore. Good thing I do create restore point religiously.
But, after system restore, I still have the same problem.......... cannot restore image by using system image backup.

adding...............
I went to my other laptop running Win 10 Pro, I had no trouble running system image restore.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update..........................
The only way to run the system image is to plug in the Win 10 DVD and run the Repair option. That will allow me to access System Image option and run it.

Is that how it works in Win 10 Home or is it my computer ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I might have to start from scratch. Reinstall Win 7 Home Premium then upgrade to Win 10 Home.
It is because this morning, when I inserted the Win 10 Home DVD to reinstall, I entered the generic key just to see if it would accept it. It did. So, reinstall continued without a glitch.
HOWEVER, it is not activated.
I clicked Activate button, it said "Windows cannot activate now, try later". And God knows how many times I did the "try later ".
Still not activated.
I'll wait till it goes D.O.A. Then I'll reinstall Win 7.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you had windows 10 installed on the computer, then you should be able to clean install windows 10 at any time.
Entering a product key "accepted" or not is probably not a good idea. I've done this on multiple occasions and have always chosen to skip or do this later when prompted for a key and have always ended up with an activated install and have never entered a product key.
I'm pretty sure that entering a key at all is counter-productive.

Reaction score
Too late now.
Damage done.
If I re-re-install Win 10 over an inactivated copy, It will end up inactivated too. Right ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That would be my guess. Can't say as I've ever tried it to answer definitively.

Reaction score
WELL ! Someone please hit me with a cannon, or a missile, or a ........

I am reinstalling Win 7 Home Premium now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is this a dual boot scenario or a single OS system?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF it already had Windows 10 on it....
Why are you not just installing that instead of Windows 7?

Reaction score
The Win 10 is/was not activated.
If I do a clean install, 1) it will ask for a product key. 2) if I "skipped", it will turn out non-activated. I am back to square one.
If I do an in-place repair install, it will come up non-activated too.
Right ?

Anyway, Win 7 installation is on the 3rd Factory Default disk, one more to go.
No return now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... I was under the impression that at some point you had, had Windows 10 installed and activated on this system.
Sorry for my confusion.

Reaction score
Yes. By coincidence my 2 laptops went into trouble one after the other consecutively..
First it was the laptop running Insider Preview 10547 went beserk. I had to revert it back to Windows 10 Pro and it is now activated.

This one is my other laptop running Windows 10 Home RTM activated. I could not run System Image to restore the system. So, I tried to do a clean install and messed up by entering the generic product key. After install, it became non-activated.

What a mess I had in 2 days.

Reaction score
Along the lines of this subject what happened to shift+restart? Every time I try to get into advanced startup pages I get as far as select a device and only two options are offered. IPV4 and IPV6 either of which simply continues the boot sequence. How is recovery from system image initiated? System image has been my salvation when I do something dumb and now I can't get it started.

The only way I can even get into startup is settings then recovery. Restart used to underline when shift was pressed but no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
OK. Win 7 Home Premium was reinstalled, upgraded to Win 10 Home and activated.
One sentence, took over 12 hours.
^&$#@!!!

Reaction score
Windows 10 Home.

I created system image backup file at least once a week.
I did one yesterday, and today I needed to run it to restore my system.
To my horror, I cannot find way to run it.
I ran system image backup restore multiple times. I know how to do it...... until today.
Today, by the time I clicked Troubleshoot option, there is no Advanced Options to choose from.
Instead it sent me to Startup Settings option where I could go to safe mode etc,
What happens ?
Anyone has this puzzle too ?

I ended up running a system restore. Good thing I do create restore point religiously.
But, after system restore, I still have the same problem.......... cannot restore image by using system image backup.

adding...............
I went to my other laptop running Win 10 Pro, I had no trouble running system image restore.

-when you create the image you are asked if you want to create also a CD Recovery, do that and use this CD and reboot with it in the CD slot,press F12 during boot it will take you to the menu for the image restoration
Åke

Ask a Question