Mouse suddenly stopped working, no pointer

Reaction score
Hi, I'm running windows 10 on my wifes comouter. Her mouse pointer has suddenly dissapeared. Initially it would be there on the lock screen but dissappear after loggibg on. I tried looking online and gave tried updating drivers through the device manager. It says I am up to date.

Another suggestion online was to uninstall the driver and restart the computer. I tried that and now i'm not even seeing the cursor on the lock screen.

The rollback option is greyed out.

Any ideas? Pretty annoyed at this point.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Question #1... How is the mouse attached to the computer
Question #2... Is there anything unique about the device, like.... does the device manufacturer offer a software driver package that might be required to achieve full functionality
Question #3... Have you tried substituting a generic USB wired mouse and multiple USB ports on the computer ???

Reaction score
I would try the simplest possible mouse for sure. If the MB has an old fashioned round mouse port, even that if you have an ancient mouse somewhere.

Reaction score
Sorry, should uave specified. It is the touchpad that isnt working.

Also its a laptop. acer vevobook. No ps2 ports on it...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Touchpads often have a means of turning them off when you are typing.
Maybe check any documentation you have for the laptop, like the user manual which you can probably find online and see if your particular make and model have that device capability....
AND
Again, try a wired USB mouse just to confirm that it's not a problem with the OS.

Reaction score
Sorry, should uave specified. It is the touchpad that isnt working.

Also its a laptop. acer vevobook. No ps2 ports on it...
Have you checked that the touchpad is not switch off via your keyboard, laptops have a key on some models, all you need to do is touch it and it will switch the touchpad off. Check your manual for your model for further info about function keys on your laptop. :):):)

Reaction score
I have checked.

Also, that should be solved by restarting the computer and shouldn't make the mouse pointer dissappear.

Reaction score
You might try restoring the computer to an earlier state. Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "rstrui.exe" and click "OK".

Ben

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
just happened to me I have a laptop , I pulled the sim stick out ( that makes wireless mouse work) and inserted it back in. The mouse worked again some times things go out of whack the simple things fixes it.
I up dated my virus definitions that the software wanted me to restart my computer too enable the software that is when my mouse quit working. Maybe yours did it in the back ground with out you knowing it did.

Ask a Question