Thread stuck in device driver

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but let's give it a shot.

Recently (over the last month) I've been crashing with the message "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER". I've tried quite a few things to fix this, including attempting to update my drivers (they were already up to date), re-installing my drivers, deleting programs that could have caused the problem (AMD Gaming Evolved/Raptr, Webroot SecureAnywhere, Lenovo bloatware, etc.) and even reset my computer completely, to when I first booted it up. After resetting, it was alright for ~24 hours until it just happened again (about 35 minutes ago, at the time of posting) and i'm unable to figure out what is causing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I've also noticed that it happens mostly while I have a video game running, but It has happened once or twice without any games running.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Specific system information please
Computer Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number (complete number)

Specific video card information please
Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number

IS the error producing a Blue Screen of Death and rebooting?

Reaction score
My pc is a Lenovo H50 - 55. 2T HDD, 12G RAM. Checking the directX Diagnostic tool, next to processor it says: 'AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 compute cores 4C+8G (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz'

Reaction score
THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error is usually caused by your graphic card, and this error can prevent you from playing your favorite video games, or enjoying multimedia by frequent restarts. In addition, some users report that their computers are restarting after few minutes, so they can’t do any serious tasks without being interrupted by this error. Fortunately for you, this error can be fixed, and as far as we know it’s caused by your graphic card driver. In order to fix this error you need to do the following.

Solution – Uninstall the currently installed display driver and install the latest drivers
Open Device Manager and locate your display driver.
Right click it and choose Uninstall.
Check the Delete the driver software for this device and click OK

reboot & you should have a default display driver installed

You can continue using it, but it’s often advised that you update it with the latest drivers. To do this, you’ll need to find your graphic card model, go to your graphic card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers. After installing the latest drivers for your graphic card this issue should be resolved.

As you can see THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER isn’t a big problem and it can be easily resolved by installing the default drivers or by updating your display drivers to the newest version. So far we don’t know if NVIDIA users are affected by this issue, but it has been confirmed that updating drivers resolves the issue for AMD users

Reaction score
Well, I have reinstalled the AMD drivers, my I should just try using the default drivers for a while and see what happens.

Reaction score
Using the default display drivers, some apps don't load correctly, and everything seems choppy.

Ask a Question