Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver lead to boot device problems!

Reaction score
Hi there; this is kind of an emergency for me. After updating some drivers with a detection program this morning, I ran into this problem only about an hour ago.

I can't recall the program name off the top of my head but was using it to update my graphics drivers and fix my usb drivers. The laptop itself is an ASUS X550Z with an AMD quad-core processor and AMD Dual graphics cards. That's about all I can say on the specs, but suddenly thread_stuck_in_driver_device happened, and put it into a loop of inaccessable_boot_device. I thought that manually turning it off and on again would help- yeah right. Now when I turn it on the screen turns on but stays black which the laptop's fans and whatnot make their usual humming noise.

This is very bad. I need this laptop for school and social life. I have files I still need to move off externals to it, and programs and files to uninstall and wipe to make room for other more important things. I do NOT want to send this to any sort of IT team- I am a graphic-designer in training and need this laptop for that.

I need answers, please. This is giving me a really bad panic attack.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds bad.
I tell people all the time that using these so-called "Driver finder" programs always cause more harm than good, but nobody ever believe me.

Now as to your actual problem.....
After a minute or so at the "black screen", if you hold the Ctrl + Alt and strike the Delete key on your keyboard, does it produce anything? Like an option to launch taskmanager?
IF not.....
Can you use the proper F key at power on (during POST) to evoke the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and or the Boot Menu?

Reaction score
I'm not at home at the moment; I'm at university using my older, alternate laptop.

I've not tried either of these options but will when I get back to my place.

I should have known that "Driver Talent" or whatever it was called was a load of crap.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, keep us posted.
You may want to arm yourself in advance with the installation media, you may need it to boot the system if you cannot launch taskmanager from the blank black screen.
Get the appropriate download for your system from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
You may be able to launch a System Restore from there to select a point in time prior to you having used the software and evidently installed a driver that is "less than optimal".

Reaction score
Ok, I've tried the control-alt-delete and F keys. Nothing. And apparently the screen isn't turning on like I thought it was.

I'm downloading the iso right now. I'll get it onto a disc as soon as I can.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, but to boot from it, you are going to have to either access the Boot Menu, usually F2 (but could be some other key or key combo)
OR
Access the BIOS and change the Boot Order to boot to your optical drive or your USB drive depending on what you create from the ISO.
In either case you may have to perform a hard reset on the laptop to get the access to the features you need.
Remove AC power, remove battery, press and hold the power on switch for a count of 30 or so.
Then, replace the battery, plug it back into the wall and press the power button, at some point early in the post you should see a splash screen indicating the key(s) to evoke the boot menu and or the BIOS System Setup Utility.

Reaction score
That battery part might be tricky. The model of laptop in question looks like I need to completely unscrew the bottom- unlike all my other laptops which had a visible, removable battery.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Without access to the boot menu or the BIOS to reconfigure the boot order you are left with testing with a DVD, it may be preset to boot from a bootable DVD.
Sometimes simply holding the power button for an extended period of time will work to cold boot the machine. You might try that.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
hmmmm.....
I'm pretty sure that 10 would do it, but.... give it a count of 30 just to be sure or until your finger gets tired, whichever comes first.

Reaction score
Ok, so I haven't had time to get the iso onto a disc or a flash drive, but I did try that holding down the button thing. All that did was turn it right back off. Screen did not turn on, and, again, it doesn't look like I can remove the battery. The way this model is built, I'd have to unscrew the bottom of it. I'm pretty sure I screwed this laptop over and I've only had it since August. I don't want to replace it already or salvage the hard drive.

Reaction score
I doubt these will work. I don't know HOW many times I need to repeat myself. The screen will not turn on. How am I gonna do any of these things with a screen that isn't turning on?!

I might as well have it replaced. These things have a one-year warranty and I've only had it since August. I even tried asking ASUS themselves and they want me to send it away for repairs. Not acceptable. Either help me repair it myself or give me a new one altogether.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't know HOW many times I need to repeat myself.
Sorry, but if the machine does not POST (Power On Self Test) and nothing you've attempted produces any results, then I suspect your only recourse is to seek assistance through the device manufacturer and its' warranty program.
OR
The vendor who sold the device to you, if they have any type of store warranty or guarantee

Reaction score
I think I'm still under warranty- but I've been hearing that ASUS doesn't replace laptops? And I'm not sure who the vendor was- it was a gift.

Ask a Question