Touchscreen not working

Reaction score
I have a HP Pavilion 15 notebook PC which has a touchscreen. However, although the screen displays correctly it now has no touchscreen. I have checked Windows settings and under 'pen and touch input' it says "no pen or touch input is available for this display"

In Device Manager there are no mentions of a touchscreen.

Could this be a software failure (I am on Windows insider program) or hardware? How do I check?

Reaction score
I have an HP 17" Envy with the TouchSmart screen and Win10 Version 1903 Build 18362.145, drivers are shown in Device Manager, Human Interface Devices. It could be the IP version doesn't yet have built-in drivers for yours but I'd check with HP anyway.

Reaction score
I'd still check with HP's Support for drivers to be installed as it may not show in Device Manager until then.

Reaction score
I have a HP Pavilion 15 notebook PC which has a touchscreen. However, although the screen displays correctly it now has no touchscreen. I have checked Windows settings and under 'pen and touch input' it says "no pen or touch input is available for this display"

In Device Manager there are no mentions of a touchscreen.

Could this be a software failure (I am on Windows insider program) or hardware? How do I check?

Step 1: Confirm the computer has a touch screen

• If the screen has never responded to touch, but you think it should, use one of these methods to confirm your computer has a touch screen.

• In Windows, search for and open View pen and touch info. If the Pen and touch section reads No pen or touch input is available for this display, the computer does not have a touch screen.
  • Check the product specifications for your computer model on the HP Customer Support website.
  • Check the labels on the computer and on the product packaging. Notebook and All-in-One computer models equipped with touch screens are branded with the word Touch or TouchSmart.
Step 2: Enable and reinstall the touch screen driver in Device Manager
  • Your touch screen might not respond because it is not enabled or needs to be reinstalled. Use Device Manager to enable and reinstall the touch screen driver.

• In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  • Expand the Human Interface Devices list.
  • Right-click the touch screen device, and then click Enable, if possible. If the Enable option does not display, continue to the next step.
    Enable HID-compliant touch screen in Device Manager
  • Tap the screen to see if it responds. If it does not, continue with these steps.
  • Right-click the touch screen device, and then click Uninstall.
    Uninstall HID-compliant touch screen in Device Manager
  • Restart the computer to reinstall the touch screen driver.
  • Tap the screen to see if it responds. If it does not, continue to the next step.
Step 3: Configure the touch display
  • Configure the touch display to identify your screen as a touch screen.

• In Windows, search for and open Calibrate the screen for pen and touch input.
  • On the Display tab, click Setup.
     Setup button in the Tablet PC Settings window
  • Click Touch input.
    Touch input
  • Follow the on-screen directions to identify your screen as a touch screen.
  • Tap the screen to see if it responds. If it does not, continue to the next step.
Step 4: Install Windows updates
Device driver updates released through Windows update might resolve touch screen issues.

Step 5: Perform a touch screen diagnostic test in HP Hardware Diagnostics

• Use the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tests to detect problems with the touch screen hardware.

• Connect the AC adapter to the computer.
  • Press the Power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the Startup menu appears, press F2.
  • When the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics screen displays, click Component Tests.
    Component Tests in HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI
  • Click Touch Screen.
  • There are two interactive touch screen hardware tests. Click Touch Pointer Test first.
    Touch Pointer Test in UEFI
  • Read the on-screen instructions, and then click Run once.
  • Touch each of the blocks on the screen to erase them. The test ends after you erase all the blocks or after three minutes have passed, and the results display.
    Touch the blocks to erase them
  • Click Main menu to return to the main screen.
  • Click Component Tests, and then click Touch Screen.
  • Click Drag And Drop Test.
    Drag and Drop Test in UEFI
  • Read the on-screen instructions, and then click Run once.
  • Drag each orange rectangle to the box indicated by the arrows with a finger or a stylus. The test ends after you reposition all the blocks or after three minutes, and the results display.
    Drag the blocks to the correct empty box

• If the diagnostics tests pass but the touch screen still does not respond during regular use, continue to the next step.
  • If one or both tests fail, a 24-digit code, or failure ID, displays. Contact HP and provide this code. The failure ID is also available in Test Logs on the main menu. Frequent hardware issue can also be a mess sometimes so i would suggest you backup your computer or use a windows virtual desktop to keep your data keep.
Step 6: Adjust the power management settings for your touch screen
  • Power settings can cause the touch screen to stop working after waking from sleep. Change the power settings so that the touch screen stays active while the computer is in sleep mode.
  • NOTE:
  • Changing this setting might result in more power consumption during sleep mode.
  • In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  • Expand Human Interface Devices list.
  • Right-click the touch screen device, and then click Properties.
    HID-compliant touch screen Properties
  • On the Power Management tab, uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, and then click OK.
    Touch screen Power Management

• The touch screen should remain working after waking the computer from sleep. If it does not, continue to the next step.
Step 7: Perform a hard reset (notebook PCs) or full shutdown and restart (All-in-One PCs)
  • If none of the previous steps worked, perform a hard reset or full shutdown and restart.

Or you always have an option to contact the HP support.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if HP is the same as some other Manufactures, but the Files used for Touch are contained in the HDD Drivers or SSD Drivers.
a fix can be as simple as reinstall the Original mobo driver set as furnished by Manufacture.... sounds crazy but try it first.

Ask a Question