Trouble with ATI X1270 Graphics with Dell inspirion 1721

AGB

Reaction score
I am working on a DELL Inspirion 1721 Laptop for a friend. The original hard drive quit working properly and I couldn’t clone it to save the recovery partitions so I could reinstall on a new drive. The owner wanted to know if I could put Windows 7 64 bit. The original was Vista 32 Bit. I ran some tools to see if it would support 64 Bit and they came back OK. Fast enough Processor. (AMD Turin 64x2 200 GHz 64 Bit Ready). I installed Windows 7 HP SP1 64 Bit From scratch and did all the updates. Everything was working fine. I had used the latest graphic Drivers (ATI X1270) I then upgraded to Windows 10 with no problems except the Graphics driver went to the Microsoft default display Driver. I reinstalled the latest driver I could find, (DELL has decided not to update the Graphics Driver For whatever reason). When I installed the ATI driver everything worked fine and changed the display to a better graphics until it said to restart for changes to take place. When I did restarted the display came up as it did before I restarted. About 10-15 seconds after the display and what few icons that were on there a white message box popped up that said “Could not load file assembly ‘MOM” implementation or one of it’s dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. I clicked OK and everything was alright for a couple of split seconds then another msg box popped up. “Could not load file assembly “CCC” implementation Version=2.02660 39033 culture-neutral, PublicKeyToken 90bn9c70F84672e or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file.” I clicked OK the message box went away, everything seemed OK until the next time I booted up, then got the same thing. When I installed the driver I installed it thru the ATI Catylist Command Control. I uninstalled everything and checked the Registry to make sure there wasn’t any leftover things in there. I installed the Driver using the ATI Catylist Command Control, except I used the custom install and only installed the driver. When I restarted the display it would show the Windows Icon then the screen would snap and would become a dark gray screen with the mouse arrow and the little blue circle going around and around like just before the wallpaper and icons would pop up. But they never did. I shut the lid waited a few seconds and opened it up the screen then turned black. I hit a few keys to see if it would activate the display, nothing. I then hit the power button a couple of times and I could then hear the cooling fan start and the display appeared. I then did a forced shut down and turned back on and everything came up in a normal way. I then shut it down using the power options at the startup screen and let it shut down. Then I powered up and I had a repeat problem with the dark gray screen, mouse arrow etc. I have uninstalled and installed and googled everything I can think of and can’t find a solution. Is There anything that I can do to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Dell has advertised that this particular model has not been tested for Windows 10. Everything else seems to be working fine accept the Graphics part.

Reaction score
Windows 10 on old laptops = frustration. Neither Windows 8 or 10 would even recognize the onboard ATI Xpress X1250 graphics on my Inspiron 1501. The drivers wouldn't even install because it didn't see a graphics card. Windows 10 doesn't play nice with legacy drivers.

Ask a Question