SOLVED Twisted Dual Boot

Reaction score
Wanting Win10 to dual boot with my existing Win7, I made an ISO of Win10, then did a clean install on a separate partition. It, of course didn't show activation. So, instead, I launched Win7, inserted the ISO and did an update to Win10. I backed that up, then restored Win7. Then, on next boot, I restored Win10 to the separate partition.

At this point, the computer still booted to 7 and made no mention of this strange new OS. So I launched EasyBCD. It didn't show Win10 either so I entered it manually. It worked – boot now offers Windows 7 or Windows 10 and they both work! Not only that, they both show as activated. I didn't recall seeing this trick online so I here I am.

I'm writing this on Win7 because I still think it's better than 10. I also think that's pretty sad...

Reaction score
You had better luck than me. I did exactly the same thing and when 10 was not activated my recourse was to purchase a product key. You got away cheaper and smarter-nice going!

You're right about 7-my main thought was to leave it untouched.

Reaction score
Here is an illustration based on my personal experience........................

I have a laptop pre-installed with Vista > then upgraded to Win 8 Pro > then Win 8.1.1 > then Windows 10 Pro.
I set up a dual boot with a new partition.
I installed Insider Preview 10565 into the new partition.
It asked for product and I click " I don't have a product key " and continue.
After installation completed, it was not activated. Of course.
I then went to Settings > Update and Security > Activation > Change product key > and I entered my Win 8.1 product key.
Build 10565 was activated.

Reaction score
Have you read this latest methods of windows 10 activation ?

No, for two reasons. First, thanks to my trick, I don't have to. Second, even if I had to I wouldn't – Win10 is nothing more than a toy for me. Without Win7 still available, I'd probably say hell with it and convert to Linux Mint en toto.

(I can't believe I just said all that.)

Reaction score
Now that I can boot to Win7 or Win10, I have come to the conclusion that Win10, while it's probably preferable for those with Win8x, is not better than Win7. Given that, I'm just wasting time trying to get it to behave. Good thing I'm good at wasting time...

Ask a Question