Two Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime, why ?

Reaction score
Hi, I just discovered that two Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime versions appeared on the list of Programs in Control Panel
5.0.13 (x64)
3.1.22 (x64)

I know I didn't installed them, but probably they have been automatically downloaded when I downloaded PowerToys x64.
Figure attached.

May I safely uninstall one of them?
Thanks

1643968517928.png

Reaction score
If it were I would leave them alone. I also have two. One is X86 and the other 64. Both came with Net framework, which I need. But, the Usual story. First make an image of you computer - there are free programs to do this. macrium is one. This is always a wise precaution when you are attempting things which may have unknown results.
Then remove the one with the oldest date, and reboot. Check carefully that everything is still OK.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, my question is : can W10 install these sorts of things without asking for permission to the laptop admin ?

Reaction score
some programs need an older version of these to be able to run. its the same thing with the C++ redistributable (I have 4 different ones).
I would leave them alone as well as they are system files that may be needed.....

Reaction score
Thanks, my question is : can W10 install these sorts of things without asking for permission to the laptop admin ?
They are typically installed when you install a new application. When you reply 'yes' to the UAC prompt querying the install you are also authorising the installation of any runtime libraries necessary for the application to run. In addition, and if you're not careful during the install on what checkboxes are ticked, you may also have authorised the installtion of one or more PUPs. ;)

Reaction score
They are typically installed when you install a new application. When you reply 'yes' to the UAC prompt querying the install you are also authorising the installation of any runtime libraries necessary for the application to run. In addition, and if you're not careful during the install on what checkboxes are ticked, you may also have authorised the installtion of one or more PUPs. ;)
does un-installing the original software that caused this issue remove also the DRTs ?

Ask a Question