Microsoft forced me to reset my MS password before I could log on to Windows....why???

RBC

Reaction score
I've had this laptop 5 years; this evening, when resuming use of the computer from sleep mode, it prompted me to verify my email address and create a new password. This is supposedly for security, but why now after nearly 5 years? I did not use "forgot password", so I can't figure out what triggered my being forced to set a new password. Any ideas? How can I prevent it from happening again?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Did you change it? Don't!!!!!!

Check your system for Virus's/Malware/spyware/browser hijacker and ect ect.

Reaction score
I've had this laptop 5 years; this evening, when resuming use of the computer from sleep mode, it prompted me to verify my email address and create a new password. This is supposedly for security, but why now after nearly 5 years? I did not use "forgot password", so I can't figure out what triggered my being forced to set a new password. Any ideas? How can I prevent it from happening again?
This has happened to me twice when it seems someone tried to login to my acct. Both facebook and my bank have been known to suspect me as a hacker when I used the VPN. I have wondered why anyone would hack my MS acct. there's no money there. were they trying to post bad support on the forum?
My buddy was banned by them from all services including skype for violating a rule. The EPA loves him. Greenpeace loves him. the animals he converted old mining site in to green meadows for love him and MS won't tell him which rule he violated, and they have a bunch to chose from apparently. It happened 2 days after the inauguration and he was an avid Trump supporter and donated to the fund though, sooooo.. That's all we can think of, unless it was too many silly memes sent.

Reaction score
Regarding Windows 10 password, I have used the 4 numeral password for so long that I do not remember what my original password is. Is there a procedure whereby you can find your original password?

Reaction score
Regarding Windows 10 password, I have used the 4 numeral password for so long that I do not remember what my original password is. Is there a procedure whereby you can find your original password?
Go to their website and type in your email then click forgot password. It will be the same one to log in to 10 and any other MS site or software.

Reaction score
Did it actually stop you from entering your desktop, or was it just a popup message?
If the latter, take Bassfishers advice and ignore the message, but scan for malware. There may be a keyboard skammer waiting to grab your login.

Reaction score
I want to change my phone number in win 10, I cannot validate as the number in win 10 does not exist. What do I do now? I need to do this because the crap win 10 system says my password is wrong even though it is written down in front of me. I ask it to change the password because I forgot it and it wants to validate which I cannot because the phone number does no exist. Round and around we go. Security is crap,we should be able to decide how much we want, not MS

Reaction score
When it asks for your phone number, it also has a paraphrase, Can't remember the exact wording, but you can say you do not have the credential, and then offer another one.
But somewhere, during the installation, you must have posted up a tel. number, or other means of communication? If not, or cannot remember it, and cannot find anyway to check your password, then you maybe looking at a fresh install!

RBC

Reaction score
Did you change it? Don't!!!!!!

Check your system for Virus's/Malware/spyware/browser hijacker and ect ect.
My belated reply is that my computer does not have malware. It's a legit although annoying prompt by Windows 10 that says there's a problem with my account. To get rid of the message, I go to the MS webpage and log in using my MS credentials (distinct password from my Windows 10 login password). Once I click the link in the notification pane, it takes me to Settings/Shared Experiences, then I click the "fix now" button, and enter my MS password, after which the Shared Experiences page displays "all accounts are working correctly". Within 2-3 days, the same advisory message "there is a problem with your account" pops up in my taskbar. So I get to do this over and over again. Or I ignore it, and the computer continues to function okay.

Ask a Question