SOLVED Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Device Configuration 410

Reaction score
Please help - I'm working remote and all of my files are on my external hard drive that I cannot get to due to the event listed above. I have a Seagate external hard drive plugged into my Lenovo ideapad running Windows 10. I have had it plugged in constantly for the past 4 days as I have been working on files, etc. when today this event happened where somehow my external hard drive is now configured and inoperable. It shows in the device manager, but I cannot open any files or even see any files. The hard drive does not light up and initially spins but then nothing. The status is "device setup in progress." Is there anyway I can reverse or fix this?

1572641846887.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
By the way if you are getting a device setup error, you should verify the USB cable you are connecting your Seagate to Laptop is seated properly on both ends, and/or the cable itself has not just died and needs replacing.

Reaction score
By the way if you are getting a device setup error, you should verify the USB cable you are connecting your Seagate to Laptop is seated properly on both ends, and/or the cable itself has not just died and needs replacing.
Thank you for your response - I'm not getting an error I'm just getting nothing. I did try a new cable but that didn't make any difference. I can hear the hard drive start spinning but the light doesn't come on and it does not show up in my file manager as it typically does. That is what led me to looking around and finding this event.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't think I know where to find that
  • Type disk management into the Cortana search box, then press Enter key

After a few seconds you'll see something like below:

dm.png

If your Seagate External Disk is not showing NTFS, but instead showing Raw or Unallocated, then you'll need to use recovery software to salvage data from the Seagate drive, and consider replacing it, or reformatting it if its just become corrupted somehow.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Given the error you mentioned I'm still leaning towards an issue around the USB connection.

Have you tried connecting to the Seagate to a different USB port, to see whether its an isolating issue with one of the USB ports on your computer?

Reaction score
  • Type disk management into the Cortana search box, then press Enter key

After a few seconds you'll see something like below:

View attachment 10809

If your Seagate External Disk is not showing NTFS, but instead showing Raw or Unallocated, then you'll need to use recovery software to salvage data from the Seagate drive, and consider replacing it, or reformatting it if its just become corrupted somehow.
Thank you again - Yeah, it shows that it needs to be initialized so my best guess is that it has become corrupted somehow. My son believes it could have been a power surge that led to it, but where he works he can attempt to use the recovery software you mentioned. The real bummer is that I'm a photographer working in the Tetons and home is a ways away........bad luck for me. I very much appreciate all of your help - Thank you again!

Ask a Question