Dell Desktop pre-installed w/ Windows 10, rendered functionless d/t Microsoft "automatic downloads"

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Dell Desktop (Home Premium), with pre-installed Windows 10. The Dell is connected to the Internet via Cable and is not part of a network. Windows 10 seemed to run normally for about two days. Then Microsoft automatically started downloading and installing “updates” (security patches, etc.). This took several hours. Following this, the Windows Start Button no longer worked (including the keyboard one), i.e., apps/programs, internet, etc. could no longer be accessed. From a review of the download history (under “settings” & “update/security”) some of these MS automatic downloads (about 16 ?) had “successfully installed” and others had not. How does one deal with this set of circumstances ? ? (I have never previously had any problems with brand new Dells pre-installed with Windows 2000; Windows Vista: Windows 7.0).
Thank you for helping solve this mystery !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I recently went through this with a friend who purchase a new HP laptop that shipped with 10240 not 10586. So there was some major updates laying out there for him to process.
Can you right click the start button and choose run and in the run dialog box type
winver
hit enter or click OK
See where you are at in the way of updates, it should be

Capture.JPG

Failed updates are not unusual, but you may want to manually run the Windows Update utility just to see if there is anything pending.

Reaction score
I got my Dell in December and it was preinstalled with Win 10. I did upgrade to 10 Pro but have had no problems so far.

Since it came with Win 10 you will be able to do a factory reset on it if you choose.

Did you load any software yourself and did you have any external devices connected.

Personally, I never leave my system alone when updates are happening. I feel like it I keep an eye on it I will at least know when the problems occurred. But there do seem to be many threads concerning certain functions refusing to work.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Araminta.

Can you post the model number of your Dell computer?

Since your Start Button won't work, use the Windows logo key. Does Cortana also not work?

Since you have more than one problem, there is more than one solution. I recommend that you use PowerShell to search for corrupted files. Even if it doesn't help, it won't hurt:

Go to Task Manager and select File--Run New Task. When the box appears, type powershell, and check the box underneath that giving you Administrative Privileges. Wait several seconds for PowerShell to start up. In the command line, type sfc /scannow Notice that there is a space after sfc. The scan will take about an hour and a half. In the unlikely event that P:eek:werShell tells you that it cannot correct corrupted files, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the command line.

Ask a Question