SOLVED Unable to find My DOCUMENTS!!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

As my user name suggests I'm very long in the tooth, and all I ever known was mechanical machines. I started off with just plain Windows XP then through the years I upgraded to 7 which was an easy transition.
Then I recently transferred from a reliable Windows 7 up to Windows 10, and now I'm wishing that I hadn't done so.
My problem is that I'm now unable to gain access to my own documents, which is proving to be very annoying despite the fact that, in every document I have installed a header to make it easier to trace these documents, but now I'm unable to find it these same document, without having to jump through hoops to obtain the relevant information to remedy this crazy situation.
Is there an easy way around this situation?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi there,

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, so feel free to correct me if that is the case.

When you have booted up to your Desktop, you can access your Documents by:
  • Clicking the yellow File Explorer icon that is pinned on your Taskbar at bottom of screen.
  • Having clicking that icon, next on left side of screen click Documents
  • Now that you are inside your Documents folder on the top tool bar click View then select Group by
    • You can then select how you wish to group your documents, for example by Date created, or by title etcetera

Is that what you are needing help with?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
"My Documents is reduntant in Windows 10. It is now what is called a junction file (only a shortcut). It is inaccessible unless you change permissions.
In order to see it, you must open the file explorer and select the view tab. Then, over on the right, the view options. Click the item "Show hidden files and UNtick the option to "Hide system folders. "Apply" to both. "My Documents", will now bw visible under your Username.
I would suggest you reverse this operation afterwards.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit &Davehc.
I was always used to hopping onto the L-H column and selecting my documents from there and as I stated "I'm not the brightest button in the box when it comes to sorting a problem with PCs but give me an motorcycle and I could easily sort any problems. Now I know where my documents are located!!
Thanks again.
Old Git.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Now I know where my documents are located!!

Glad you found what you were looking for :)

It takes time to adapt to a different layout of an OS - so just make time to click around and explore your new OS and eventually it will become second nature to find things you want.

Just a note, that assuming you did not opt out of allowing Microsoft's One Drive app to install, any files inside your Documents folder will also be automatically saved to Microsoft's cloud based [ i.e. on their server ] as a back up feature. If that has happened you may notice a green check mark on the folder or next to your file names.

This is a handyfeature, as if you needed to reinstall Windows for some reason, once its been reinstalled and you sign-in again, you can then open One Drive and copy and paste files back onto your computer.

However, if you'd rather not have personal files storedon Microsoft's server, you can simply delete them from One Drives directory.

Ask a Question