Unable to see systems on My Private home network

Reaction score
Ever since Microsoft removed “Homegroup” from Windows 10 I have had issues with seeing the computers on my home private network under “Network” in Windows Explorer. My network has a desktop running Windows 10 Version 1903 using WI-FI to the router, a laptop running Windows 10 Version 1903 using Ethernet connection to the router, another laptop running Window 10 Version 1809 Using WI-FI to the router. I have tried to implement every suggested change to Windows Services, Network Discovery, etc that others have offer with absolutely no success. Also since Micro software removed “Homegroup” from Windows 10 “Homegroup” still appears on any folder that I have marked to be shared and I have not be able to find out why I cannot remove “Homegroup” and am perplexed as to why Microsoft still shows this when it had abandon “Homegroup”. As a fall back I am able to see all my systems by highlighting “Network” in the Windows Explorer search bar and typing in \\computername\.

If anyone can offer any help with/suggestions for my frustrations with Microsoft I would be most appreciative.
Gene

Reaction score
I have a very similar problem. I built a new computer with Win 10 Pro v1909 and am not able to see the two other computers on my private network. The two older computers started life as win 7 and then upgraded to win 8.1 and then had the free upgrade to Win 10. The Private network was started as a HomeGroup under win 7. The problem started when Microsoft got rid of the HomeGroup. At first only one computer could be seen on the network. That was okay as I could do what needed to be done from the one computer but now that the new freshly built computer can't see either of the other two older computers it becomes a problem. So I thought I’d solve the problem by doing a “clean install” on the best old computer. The OS downloaded and installed without issue. But when I went to network the newly built computer and the clean install computer neither computer would appear on the network. Both computers can see the router (this is a wired network) but neither computer would appear under the router so it is impossible to network them. On the clean install computer I see remnants of the HomeGroup. Even though I formatted C Drive the username was picked up from the HomeGroup. I can’t figure out how that has happened. I am at a loss as to how to have these two computers appear under my router so I can network them.

Reaction score
MS has also changed the default to "Turn Off Network Discovery" , You have to open and check "Turn On Network Discovery"
then click "save changes". Every update I have to reset, and every clean Install I have to set.
1586012859337.png

Reaction score
MS has also changed the default to "Turn Off Network Discovery" , You have to open and check "Turn On Network Discovery"
then click "save changes". Every update I have to reset, and every clean Install I have to set.
View attachment 11525
I have network discovery turned on , on all three computer. Sharing has also benn turned on. Still can't see anything but the router.

Reaction score
check the settings in the router. There may be a setting that is called "network isolation". if it is set to "ON" then all you see is the router. My old Netgear router had a setting like that, my current Linksys router does not have that...

Ask a Question