Unable to remove "write protection" from sd card

Reaction score
Have 2 SD cards that were not write protected before installing windows 10 home. Now, for some reason they are. Tried "Diskpart," went into the registry and created "StorageDevicePolicies" and set to zero to remove the write protection. Nothing works, tried numerous other things to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions...which would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I assume the tab on the SD card isn't set to lock. What are you using to read/write to the cards? If I try using the SD card reader in my printer to write to them, they always come up write protected. They are writeable in my PC and my laptop.

Reaction score
As you haven’t mentioned what you did within diskpart I’ll suggest you use the clean cmd:
I would copy any files you wish to keep from the card to the PC & use diskpart to clean the SD card. If this fails then the card has failed.
Right click Start>Powershell with admin & enter:
diskpart
list disk
select disk X (where X is the number of the SD card)
clean
exit
exit

Now go to disk management & format the SD card.

Reaction score
well it the switch on the side is set to unlock, they might be broken. every now and then I bump a switch and lock them, but I've had some older cards where the switch just broke internally.

Reaction score
well it the switch on the side is set to unlock, they might be broken. every now and then I bump a switch and lock them, but I've had some older cards where the switch just broke internally.
Uh, there is no "internal" parts of the switch. It is simply a tab that activates a set of contacts in the socket. You can permanently write-protect the SD card by simply using a needle-nose pliers to rip the tab from the SD card. You can use a piece of tape to temporarily "replace" the tab and make the SD card writeable again.

Reaction score
Uh, there is no "internal" parts of the switch. It is simply a tab that activates a set of contacts in the socket. You can permanently write-protect the SD card by simply using a needle-nose pliers to rip the tab from the SD card. You can use a piece of tape to temporarily "replace" the tab and make the SD card writeable again.
SD cards used have a slide AKA switch on the side to lock and unlock. I thought they still did till I took mine out of the reader. I knew I wasn't crazy
1620438494250.png

Reaction score
SD cards still have that slider to lock/unlock it. However, if the slider gets loose, one inadvertently locks the card when inserting into the reader. I usually prevent that by setting the slider to unlock and then tape it down with some clear tape.
I also had a case where the card reader itself was defective.

Reaction score

SD cards still have that slider to lock/unlock it. However, if the slider gets loose, one inadvertently locks the card when inserting into the reader. I usually prevent that by setting the slider to unlock and then tape it down with some clear tape
OK I found it. I knew I wasn't crazy. I thought they used to be on the opposite corner.

Reaction score

SD cards still have that slider to lock/unlock it. However, if the slider gets loose, one inadvertently locks the card when inserting into the reader. I usually prevent that by setting the slider to unlock and then tape it down with some clear tape
OK I found it. I knew I wasn't crazy. I thought they used to be on the opposite corner.

Reaction score

Ask a Question