Unable to complete 8.1 to 10 update

Reaction score
I have a Windows desktop running windows 8.1 This computer system was customized by 'Sweetwater' Sound. I mainly use the computer for audio processing and recording. I have a laptop that I use for browsing, printing, office apps, social media etc. I also do some video editing as well. I'm eyeing the Adobe CS for this 8.1 system but will need to upgrade to windows 10 as the minimum system requirements. I've tried every update option on the web and windows 10 will not allow me to logon once it's installed. At the logon screen I get a grey box with Microsoct account in the upper left side of the box but no text box/field appears to type in logon credentials. I restarted multiple times and I got a dialogue box stating [I need an app to address this problem. would you like to go to the app store] I click yes but nothing happens, it just remains with a grey microsoft account box. I've attempted every fix offered on these forums and nothing has changed, same outcome as above. Now I reading that a clean wipe install is the optimal method for installing windows 10. Problem I don't feel confident enough to execute the multitude of steps to ensure the system is usable after the install.

Sweetwater will assist in reinstalling all my music software and programs but only once I have the download working properly. Can anyone help? Is Windows 10 stable or should I simply leave 8.1 in place until Microsoft gets their act together. I have no problem, now, wiping the OS if needed as long as the computer is ready to use after the update. I need my music production software, sound card and basic utilities to work. I can reinstall any apps, software, plug-ins not connected to audio and video editing over time or not at all.

Reaction score
Hi B Senior,

do you have a copy of Win 10 on a USB stick?, if you do, boot into advanced start-up options and try and troubleshoot the problem from there.

Read from "If you can't boot Windows 10" if the first part of the thread doesn't help you!. :)

Ask a Question