Unable to enter Safe Mode

Reaction score
Hi, pc won't boot. Getting stop code: kernal data inpage error and then pc freezes for hours on that message. No matter which options i pick it goes into self diagnosis mode. I'm trying to get into safe mode, hopefully to check on pc from there once booted but its going in circles of above descriptions. Any suggestions or help in getting into safe mode? Thx a lot.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Often, whatever is preventing your computer from booting normally, will also prevent it from booting into Safe Mode.

Safe Mode will basically get you around some bad driver problems, but....
IF there are issues involving hardware, OR issues with corrupt, critical OS files Safe Mode may not help.
You can boot from the installation media and use the "Repair You PC" link on the page following the keyboard and language page(s) to boot the system in an offline condition, independent of the files on the hard disk.

Typically that error comes with a number. This How To - How to fix Windows 10 error Kernel Data Inpage Error | Tom's Hardware Forum
may provide some hints as to what you might be experiencing.

I'm not a big fan of using the native memory diagnostics, I would suggest using

Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours (overnight even better). First test system as presently configured with all RAM modules in place, If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test on RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Reaction score
Thx for reply. The loop starts like "device ran into problem....", stop code kernal data inpage error n hangs for hrs until manual shutdown. On restarting it will go into auto repair, advanced options, troubleshoot. From there no matter what option is selected it will reboot n start the loop over again.
I hv removed all peripherals, checked ram n everything on the motherboard. Even managed to get into command prompt to chkdsk but found no problems with c drive.
Trying to avoid last drastic step of reinstalling but will check ur links.

Reaction score
Thx for reply. The loop starts like "device ran into problem....", stop code kernal data inpage error n hangs for hrs until manual shutdown. On restarting it will go into auto repair, advanced options, troubleshoot. From there no matter what option is selected it will reboot n start the loop over again.
I hv removed all peripherals, checked ram n everything on the motherboard. Even managed to get into command prompt to chkdsk but found no problems with c drive.
Trying to avoid last drastic step of reinstalling but will check ur links.
Did you try CTRL-ALT-DEL? Sometimes this will work by getting you to a screen with the power-off select (circle open at top with "I" in opening). Use the power off to Shut Down. Powering up again should restart everything. Also other options, etc. available.

Reaction score
Hi, pc won't boot. Getting stop code: kernal data inpage error and then pc freezes for hours on that message. No matter which options i pick it goes into self diagnosis mode. I'm trying to get into safe mode, hopefully to check on pc from there once booted but its going in circles of above descriptions. Any suggestions or help in getting into safe mode? Thx a lot.
If you happened to create a WIN 10 recovery disk (USB) that may help you recover. If you didn't, suggest after you recover from this problem, you make one.

Reaction score
You say you can get into command prompt. Hopefully that's with admin privilege. Here is something you can try that can help fix damaged OS files, an internet connection is required. The following must be done exactly, with caps and spaces as shown. DISM spacebar /Online spacebar /cleanup-Image spacebar /CheckHealth Spacebar refers to hitting the spacebar once then entering the next command. This can take from a minute to several minutes to run, don't do anything, it will finish by itself. The next command is, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth I put the spaces in the same way the first command was done just minus the word spacebar . Again this can take a while, don't rush it. There is one more command to run, which could/should fix your problem. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth This can and will take some time and you should see some type of progress bar. Whatever you do, make sure when leaving command prompt that you type exit and hit enter which will close the window. If the first command doesn't find anything, the other commands most likely won't do anything. If followed correctly, none of this will do any damage. If this doesn't work, you probably will have to do a re-install. If someone sees a problem with my suggestion, please do speak up with a correction. I have used these exact commands to repair my files in the past. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Probably not what you want to hear but I suspect your hard drive failed. I went through exactly what you are describing and wasted hours if not days trying every repair under the sun. I actually got it to boot into Windows and thought I finally fixed it only for the endless error loop to happen again at the first restart. In my case the computer was old enough that rather than replacing the hard drive I just bought a new one.

Fortunately I back up religiously so setting up the new computer was an easy matter of just transferring my old system image right onto the new computer and I was back up and running with minimal effort.

Reaction score
Did you try CTRL-ALT-DEL? Sometimes this will work by getting you to a screen with the power-off select (circle open at top with "I" in opening). Use the power off to Shut Down. Powering up again should restart everything. Also other options, etc. available.
Hello Moderator,

that was a great tip, I run into such often from the best tech experts.
The guy told you he can not boot his PC. So, please do explain to everyone, how is he to Download anything?
I guess that you assume he has another PC with which to write his question.
So he is using a Library PC. Even if he would download the whatever, he would have to install it on his PC to use it on it, unfortunately you forgot he can not boot it.
Same kind of help as if you told me to phone you, after I told you my phone line is cut.
But keep up the good work as you normally do.
I have meant no disrespect.
My best regards
Tony H

Reaction score
The guy told you he can not boot his PC. So, please do explain to everyone, how is he to Download anything?
Hi TonyH,

that is not what @tacoslammer said, he merely advised him to press Ctrl + Alt + Del (post #4) or am I missing something?.

See also to re-install and keep your files intact!. ;)

Reaction score
Hello Moderator,

that was a great tip, I run into such often from the best tech experts.
I guess that you assume he has another PC with which to write his question.
So he is using a Library PC. Even if he would download the whatever, he would have to install it on his PC to use it on it, unfortunately you forgot he can not boot it.
Same kind of help as if you told me to phone you, after I told you my phone line is cut.
But keep up the good work as you normally do.
I have meant no disrespect.
My best regards
Tony H

Sorry was I confused? I clicked reply on the article from December Newsletter - subject "Unable to enter Safe Mode"
I just wanted to comment on the offered fix.
The article starts "Hi, pc won't boot .
The offered fix was
"Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour.
No clue where the comment about ctrl-alt-del come from.

Anyway my apology to all concerned.
Tony_H

Reaction score
Hi TonyH,

not a problem, I misread things myself from time to time. Have a good one. :):):)

Ask a Question