SOLVED Unable to create system repair disk

Reaction score
I just did an in-place upgrade to 20H2 on two different HP laptops, which went smoothly once I disconnected everything that was attached to my USB ports, and was then able to install all the latest updates as well. I couldn't create a bootable DVD, I guess because the ISO is now too large to fit on a DVD, and Windows won't let you do it to a Blu-Ray. I created an ISO on the desktop on each, mounted and installed on both. I also was able to create a USB boot disk. I did system Image backups on a portable hard drive on each, and created a flash drive recovery drive for each. When I did the image backups, I also tried to create System Repair DVDs for each. One laptop created it just fine. The other one told me it "couldn't create a repair disc because the selected disc did not contain a valid windows installation", followed by "a system repair disc cannot be created without a Windows installation disc." I did the exact same thing on both laptops, so I don't understand the why the problem occurred or how to fix it. The laptop that created the disc ok is an HP 15-b2344wm with a 1 TB WD SATA SSD and 8GB of memory. The one with the problem is a 15-da0053wm with a 1 TB WD PCIe/NVMe SSD in the M.2 slot where the Optane memory used to be. Dioes anyone have any suggestions?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I couldn't create a bootable DVD, I guess because the ISO is now too large to fit on a DVD, and Windows won't let you do it to a Blu-Ray.
I haven't tried with a Blu-Ray but have not had an issue with creating the bootable DVD using DVD+R/DL discs. Not all drives can handle Dual-Layer discs and the discs may be hard to find locally. Using the MCT I always get the third choice of both x86 and x64 which does require the DL disc that can handle up to about 8GB. I use the same choice with the Bootable USB Thumb drive and use 8GB or more recently 16GB drive, they get wiped and formatted as FAT32.

Reaction score
Problem solved. I simply mounted the ISO file, which I had saved to my hard drive, and told Windows that was my installation media. Now it is happily creating the repair disc on a DVD. The other machine, which had no problem, still had the ISO mounted when I did the repair disc on it, so it never had the problem.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I keep forgetting the nice feature of mounting the ISO. Save's the trouble of actually burning it to a DVD.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
It's important to create a system repair disc because most computers sold these days do not come with restore media. If you need to reinstall Windows from scratch, having a system repair disc comes in handy to bring your system back to factory default settings.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question