unable to create microsoft acc because keyboard types numbers

Reaction score
After installing Windows 10 I wanted to use the solitaire games. It asked me for a Microsoft account. I already have one for Outlook (I don't know if this would work) but even so, when I tried to input anything into the fields to sign in or sign up for a Microsoft acc my computer types only numbers, not letters and sorry NO I don't have the number lock on or anything like that. Would appreciate some help for dummies lol

Reaction score
Try typing osk in the search next to the start menu, and click on On Screen Keyboard. Try using that to sign in. And yes, any Microsoft account will do.

Reaction score
Try typing osk in the search next to the start menu, and click on On Screen Keyboard. Try using that to sign in. And yes, any Microsoft account will do.
Thank you. I did type in osk but it came up as numbers. Isn't that weird????

Reaction score
Karen, you're not a dummy.

This probably isn't the solution, but it won't hurt.

In the bottom right corner of your monitor, you have the date and time. Right next to it is the type of keyboard you are using. Click that to make sure it is the keyboard you are actually using.

Reaction score
Hola. I checked that and it seems ok. The time was accurate but there was no option for keyboards listed.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Karen,

What are you using? Laptop ? Desktop?

Is it a HP, Dell, Something else?

If using a Desktop what model of keyboard are you using?

I know you stated your Num Lock is not on, but many models use a combination of the Function (Fn) key + Num Lock, or other variations of Fn + "some other key" to engage a numerical keypad.

Some keyboards have the option Fn + Delete Num Lock key which turns off this feature.

Some keyboards you will see in smaller text on certain keys the digits 1 - 9 on the face of the key, or on the bottom edge facing you. If you see these you definitely have a Function key (Fn) combination to turn on or off the Numerical Keyboard.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Karen, do the letters ENG appear somewhere in the bottom right corner? That's your keyboard options.

Reaction score
It sounds like it is possible, that for unkown reasons, you have changed to a pin code?
Have a look in settings - Accounts - Sign in options.
But, are you sure it is asking you to sign in to Soliaire collection, and not, as is normal, the Xbox facility, which is part of the procedure? Perhaps, if my first suggestion is not the cause, you could have a look in xbox and eith create an account, or chack your previous sign in details.

Reaction score
It sounds like it is possible, that for unkown reasons, you have changed to a pin code?
Have a look in settings - Accounts - Sign in options.
But, are you sure it is asking you to sign in to Soliaire collection, and not, as is normal, the Xbox facility, which is part of the procedure? Perhaps, if my first suggestion is not the cause, you could have a look in xbox and eith create an account, or chack your previous sign in details.

Reaction score
This may sound very stupid, but the only option on the start menu for games says xbox. There is no option for just "games" without xbox. So I went with the xbox tag. For some reason after you update to WIN 10 you are not given an option of solitaire except through xbox

Reaction score
Digressing a little. It sseems that you have possibly not installed the MS Solitaire collection?

Open the Store - Games, and type MS solitaire in the search box.

Ask a Question