Uninstalling / Disabling IE11

Status
Not open for further replies.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
File Exploror.png
I for one have had no trouble with windows 10.
One thing I did do before I upgraded was ran antimalware, updated my driver, cleaned out all the rubbish shortcuts that did not work.
Then ran all updates then upgraded
All I had to do was update one driver, then let windows 10 put in the updates it wanted.
Then uninstalled IE11 and only using Edge,
As you can see it is no where in the file system
If just disabled it would show up
To uninstall it had to restart the laptop once it had uninstalled

Last edited:
Reaction score
To all other members who come across with this thread,
Let's be absolutely clear of one point.....................
Internet Explorer is part of Windows 10 operating system, at least for now. MS might eventually remove it from the system, but at the moment, IE11 stays.
IE11 can NOT be uninstalled. It can be disabled, but it still stays in the system.

If you come across a website that says " how to uninstall IE11 in windows 10 " the statement is erroneous.
The correct choice of word is either "disable" or "turn off".

By the way, File Explorer Options has nothing to do with IE and IE has never been listed there ever.

Last edited:
Reaction score
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/internet-explorer/install-ie#ie=ie-11
The article issued by Microsoft is also applicable to Windows 10.
Turn off Internet Explorer
Because Internet Explorer is a Windows feature, you can't uninstall it, but you can turn it off. Here's how:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Windows features in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Turn Windows features on or off.

3. In the Windows Features dialog box, clear the Internet Explorer 11 check box.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup, and if you look in program folders there it is still and can not be deleted without "trusted Installers" permission.

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
Yup, and if you look in program folders there it is still and can not be deleted without "trusted Installers" permission.
try it yourself by going into file explorer options untick it and it will be removed in all places including trusted installers.
Also I don't get updates for it only for edge and that is why I don't get crashes or hang ups or freezes
4 members on another forum have also got rid of IE11,
It will ask you are you sure you want to uninstall it, click yes and that is when it will be removed and your laptop/computer will restart.

Reaction score
try it yourself by going into file explorer options untick it and it will be removed in all places including trusted installers.
Also I don't get updates for it only for edge and that is why I don't get crashes or hang ups or freezes
4 members on another forum have also got rid of IE11,
It will ask you are you sure you want to uninstall it, click yes and that is when it will be removed and your laptop/computer will restart.
Please explain in detail as I would be very happy to delete IE. You are not just kidding around I hope.

Reaction score
  1. Navigate to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features"
  2. Select "Turn Windows features on or off"
  3. Uncheck "Internet Explorer 11"

Reaction score

That is to "turn off " IE, not to uninstall.
On post #7, I posted .............................

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/internet-explorer/install-ie#ie=ie-11
The article issued by Microsoft is also applicable to Windows 10.
Turn off Internet Explorer
Because Internet Explorer is a Windows feature, you can't uninstall it, but you can turn it off
. Here's how:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
  2. Enter Windows features in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Turn Windows features on or off.
  3. In the Windows Features dialog box, clear the Internet Explorer 11 check box.

Last edited:

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
Correct then it will do the rest all you do is follow the path and click when asked too

Reaction score
Correct then it will do the rest all you do is follow the path and click when asked too

No ! It won't uninstall. It will turn off IE only.
If the box is to be checked again later on, IE 11 will become usable right away.

I suggest you stop giving erroneous advice to others. You are misleading people with bad advice.

Reaction score
hTconeM9user;
Are you trying to tell me that you no longer see an option in "turn windows features on or off" which says "Internet Explorer 11" ? Go there and look. Follow the instructions above if you do not know where to look.

Apologies to parrma2001 for hijacking your thread.

Last edited:

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
hTconeM9user;
Are you trying to tell me that you no longer see an option in "turn windows features on or off" which says "Internet Explorer 11" ? Go there and look. Follow the instructions above if you do not know where to look.

Apologies to parrma2001 for hijacking your thread.
I know where to look thank you if I wanted it back I could do so by putting in the tick I took out but I do not want it back.
My laptop and several friends computers run better without IE11 running or being on our systems,
We start up faster, no crashes, no sorry internet explorer has to close because it ran into a problem.
For 6 weeks now I have not had one freeze or error by just using Edge.
I do have CROME either I have my laptop set up how I like it and want it.
I also today helped someone on another forum get their computer up and running when they had been waiting for 3 days with a system fail.
No one bothered to even try and help them,
I only give out information when I know it works myself I have been involved with windows since windows 98 but also knew windows 95 and DOS.
That is why windows 10 along with Edge, new Mail app, and both Offices 365 and 2016 are going to get better in months to come.

Reaction score
Regardless of what you " claim", you are still wrong saying IE11 can be uninstalled.
It can Only be disabled . Not uninstalled.

Reaction score
Regardless of what you " claim", you are still wrong saying IE11 can be uninstalled.
It can Only be disabled . Not uninstalled.
You are absolutely correct Davidhk129 and the OP is absolutely wrong but is now trying to spin it so he is the hero when he should humbly admit his error. Too bad admin is silent here.

Reaction score
hTconeM9user is the OP I was referring to alright. Doesn't OP stand for other person? I said OP because I did not want to write out his name. I did not know that I could copy the link. In another chat room I frequent, the Moderator has the ability to lock a thread which goes bad. This one would qualify for that action I think.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OP stands for ...... Original Poster.
So, if you said OP, the real OP could get upset when he has nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question