UnInstalling Windows 10 Apps

Reaction score
How do I UNinstall apps from Windows 10 that I don't need or like?
(Remove from the hard disk, not just deleted from the "All Apps" list.)
These apps are not listed in the Control Panel's "Uninstall or change
program" and the "Turn Windows features on or off".

I want the following apps removed from the hard disk:

1. Alarms and Clock
2. Calendar
3. Camera
4. Get Office
5. Get Skype
6. Groove Music (I prefer Windows Media Player)
7. Mail
8. Edge (Firefox is my browser)
9. Microsoft Wi-Fi
10. Movies and TV
11. News
12. One Drive
12. One Note
13. People
14. Phone
15. Phone Companion
16. Photos
17. Sports
18. Store
19. Sway
20. Voice Recorder
21. Weather
22. Windows Feedback
23. XBox

Last but not least, in the "Uninstall or change a program"
there are several versions of "Microsoft Visual C++ 20xx Redistributable".
Are all of these required? Perhaps only the latest version is needed?

I use my computer for work (Computerized Aided Drafting, ex. SolidWorks)
and sometimes for watching movies and listening to music.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

Reaction score
When I look at your list, just about all of those are features specific to Windows 10. No sarcasm intended, but I think your best bet is to reinstall Windows 7.

Reaction score
If right clicking them in the app's list and uninstalling them isn't enough then I agree with davehc.
The ones that will I meant.o_O

Last edited:
Reaction score
I suggest that some of those versions of the Visual C++ redistributables may be used by programs of different ages.
My main machine, running W10 Anniversary has 9 of them from 2008 onwards. 2009 was when the machine was purchased with W7.

Another machine here that was installed clean with W10 Anniversary and only has Office 365, Chrome and iTunes has none of them visible in the uninstall list.

edit: Installing Firefox and thunderbird doesn't add them either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure where Tim is going witht that one. Maybe in the wrong thread?

On a fresh install of Windows anniversary, (Pro) I have all of those.

Some can be removed by going to Settings- System - Apps and features. If you click each item, it will, if possible, give you the option to uninstall.

Reaction score
Not sure where Tim is going witht that one. Maybe in the wrong thread?

On a fresh install of Windows anniversary, (Pro) I have all of those.

Some can be removed by going to Settings- System - Apps and features. If you click each item, it will, if possible, give you the option to uninstall.
Dave, the OP asked about these C++ redistributables. So I checked two machines bother with 1607 Home and answered that I have many on one and none on the other. So then I deleted the older ones on this machine and restarted. Logitech Setpoint is now unhappy but everything else works. This suggests that Setpoint uses one of the old redistributables.

Thats all. ( I am never in the wrong thread:cool: )

Reaction score
I reinstalled the latest version of Setpoint and Lo and Behold a 2008 version of C++ redistributable came back with it.

So Omarbuzz, maybe your work software uses an old C++.

Reaction score
[Q
Dave, the OP asked about these C++ redistributables. So I checked two machines bother with 1607 Home and answered that I have many on one and none on the other. So then I deleted the older ones on this machine and restarted. Logitech Setpoint is now unhappy but everything else works. This suggests that Setpoint uses one of the old redistributables.

Thats all. ( I am never in the wrong thread:cool: )

E
Yes. Sorry. I didn't bother to read the end bit.

Omarbuzz By the way, fwiw. The latest release of Ccleaner has options to uninstall Apps - works well.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was particularly interested in the question from Omarbuzz because I would like to do exactly the same thing. I recently reached the point where I needed to buy a new computer, and this came with Windows 10 pre-installed. I had tried the free version of Windows 10 last September, played around with it for a couple of days and hated it, so went back to Windows 7. What I particularly disliked about Windows 10 were a) the desktop, with all those brightly coloured boxes containing links to things that I never use and am never likely to and b) the lack of control it seemed to offer in terms of fine-tuning my computer so that it works exactly the way I want it to and doesn't contain anything I don't need that might take up unnecessary space on my hard drive.

I was glad to see that there is now an alternative desktop so I am using that. I've put links on there to all the programmes I use and only go on to the black screen to access the Power function. I also dislike the way the filing system is organised in Windows 10 so have put all my own documents and photos on the D drive and work exclusively in that.

Re. uninstalling the programmes listed by Omarbuzz, I tried to do this by deleting the registry keys relating to them but was told that only a 'Trusted Installer' was allowed to do this. I found an article online that told you how to get round this by changing the Owner of these programmes from Trusted Installer to oneself. Unfortunately when I tried this the first few steps went OK but I then found that the necessary item was missing from those offered on the menu I had to select from to complete the next step. So it didn't work for me.

It has occurred to me to uninstall Windows 10 and install Windows 7 on this computer, but I haven't yet decided whether it would be worth all the hassle of saving all my stuff AGAIN onto a memory stick so that I can put it back in afterwards.

I was determined to get to grips with Windows 10 and stop being such a Luddite! But I'm beginning to see that, in fact, Windows 10 was not designed for users like me. I have only a desktop PC and an old laptop that moves at the speed of darkness, that I use about once a year. I don't have an ipad, a tablet or a smartphone.
I don't have any need to be instantly aware of everything that is happening and all that my friends are doing 24/7. I have my preferred email application and my preferred photo-editing programme, neither of which is made by Microsoft - so another of my gripes is that Windows 10 will not allow me to set any non-Microsoft programme as default, indeed seems not to recognise some others at all.

I didn't like Edge when I tried it so have installed and am using Firefox. I don't see how Cortana differs from any other Search facility.

Still trying to make up my mind whether to stick with Windows 10 or not.

Ask a Question