Uninstalling windows 10

Reaction score
I was using a dual operating system with windows 8.1 and windows 10 preview and have got build 10532 now. I have finished with the 8.1 and have downloaded the free upgrading files for windows 10 home and installed it. Now I should like to keep only the preview and back up the latest 10 home, remove it from the computer and keep the installation and backup files for any emergency in future.

I need the disk space that is freed by uninstallation of the 10 home edition; can any one tell me how to do it?

Reaction score
Since you know how to setup dual boot configuration, the tutorial I am going to post below will not be difficult for you.

However, I would like to suggest a slight change of plan......
Instead of deleting Win 10 Home partition and keeping the Insider Preview partition, I would suggest the opposite. First delete the Insider Preview partition. Then change the Windows 10 Home to receive Insider Preview builds.
I am assuming that Win 8.1 was installed FIRST, then dual boot was setup and Insider Preview was installed afterwards. Yes ?

Logon to your Win 10 Home, and use this link......
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/remove-windows-8-from-a-dual-boot-configuration/
The tutorial is about how to remove Win 8 on a dual booting setup of Win 7 and Win 8.
The procedures are exactly the same. Just a change of "players' names ".

Skip the BCDedit part, scroll down to Removing the partition and start from there.
In case the beginning part is not clear to you, here is how to access disk management....
Right click at Start > Run > type diskmgmt.msc in the box > OK > you are now on Disk management.

This tutorial is to.......
1. Delete the Insider Preview volume ( Win 8 volume).
2. Delete the Insider Preview partition (Win 8 partition).
3. Extend the free space back to Win 10 Home partition ( OS C: partition).
Once you are done, your computer will have only one OS which is Windows 10 Home.

How to change Windows 10 Home to Insider Preview :
Start > Settings > Update & Security > Advanced options > under Get Insider Builds, click the Get started button > follow the prompts and you will be switched to accepting Insider preview builds > set Fast ring to receive new builds.
That's it. Soon you will be getting new build, most likely build 10532.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was using a dual operating system with windows 8.1 and windows 10 preview and have got build 10532 now. I have finished with the 8.1 and have downloaded the free upgrading files for windows 10 home and installed it. Now I should like to keep only the preview and back up the latest 10 home, remove it from the computer and keep the installation and backup files for any emergency in future.

I need the disk space that is freed by uninstallation of the 10 home edition; can any one tell me how to do it?

Well I bet you have multiple partitions. So you can clone the partition with Windows 10 Home. I have cloned drives when I purchased new SSD's and /or HD's. I use Acronis True Image for cloning which was around 25 at Best Buy. You can find free cloning software on say Download.com. Acronis offers cloud storage or you can use your own media like a external drive, flash drive or DVD's.

Reaction score
Well I bet you have multiple partitions. So you can clone the partition with Windows 10 Home. I have cloned drives when I purchased new SSD's and /or HD's. I use Acronis True Image for cloning which was around 25 at Best Buy. You can find free cloning software on say Download.com. Acronis offers cloud storage or you can use your own media like a external drive, flash drive or DVD's.

How is that pertinent to the OP's question ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question