Universal Serial Bus Controller : Unknown USB Device - ACER phone with micro SD card.

Reaction score
Good day to all!!

After updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I have the following:

Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controller : Unknown USB Device (Device Descripter Request Failed) which has a yellow mark.

I troubleshooted this and the details of the troubleshoot found this problem:
Location Port_#0002.Hub_#0003
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problem (Code 43).

Now this tells me that I have a USB Device attached to my computer that Windows 10 was unable to find a driver for.

Therefore I did the following steps below without any success.

· The issue is when I connect my Acer cell phone (with a micro sd card). The above error shows up.​

· This particular port was proven okay with a cable mouse - such as the other ports.​

· Keep in mind that the cable and the device (Acer cell phone) was tried on another platform and worked.​

1. Within the Device Manager I uninstalled everything that was under the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" to make sure when powered up back up everything (Drivers) would be reloaded/updated.

2. Shutdown power off.

3. Unplugged the power cord from laptop and removed the battery pack.

4. Unplugged all of your USB cords from the back of your machine as well as any flash drive or any other USB

device that is plugged.

5. Inserted the power plug back into the laptop and battery pack and power it up. Allowed it to completely load everything.

6. Started plugging the USB devices back into the laptop one at a time while waiting for them to

indicate that they are recognized.

7. Within Device Manager /USB Serial Controllers and checked to see if any of them have the yellow tag. The problem is not corrected.

Keep in mind that I did go searching for a newer Acer USB driver on the Acer site but nothing was available. Having said that, USB does stand for Universal Serial Bus - right? Hmm Need help. :)

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Device manager.
From the menu bar select View -> Show hidden devices
Expand Portable Devices
Look for any references to your Cell Phone and right click them and uninstall them.
Reboot your system with the Cell Phone connected.
See if that helps

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble! BTW great name.

Just tried it but no success. Half of the time it see's it (explorer window), lags, then flags me with the above error or either it's just not there - the device. BTW, just incase, this is a one year old Dell Laptop and my old phone did work without any hickups but on Windows 8.1.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry......
I was hoping we'd get lucky. I had a similar issues with my Nikon D3200 and that was what managed to resolve it for me.
Thought it might just be worth a try.
Keep us posted if you sort it out

Reaction score
Have a feeling that it could be a driver issue but then again the chipset for the serial bus has not changed... Should be the same stuff since XP..?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would expect the general chipset driver to have been updated.... certainly since XP as well as other mainboard drivers.
Perhaps BIOS, as well as storage controller drivers.
AND
Sometimes they can get fubar'd after an upgrade so it probably wouldn't hurt to do a little searching and see if there are any available.

Reaction score
Sorry what I ment is that besides the speed itself, the serial bus "structure" should not have changed that much.

Reaction score
The W10 chipset driver for USB might have been updated for USB 3 and 3.1 thus introducing some bug that affects your phone.

Ask a Question