Unnecessary change

Reaction score
I have been building and repairing computers since the late 90’s, and have been teaching seniors how to use them since 2003, so I do understand a little bit about computers.

I find that Microsoft with its latest creation (W10), has for whatever reason decided to make it difficult to back up one’s own computer. Until W10, you could click the user name in the start menu, and you would see, in file explorer, most of the items you wanted to back up, including Favorites. Not included was email from office outlook, or live mail, but clicking “Appdata”, then “Microsoft” you could also see these email files. However the new edge browser requires you delve down 13 levels to get to it’s favorites or bookmarks. Would it have not been a lot easier for some engineer to make the edge bookmarks file right beside the favorites file – under the “User Name”?

Change is good if it has a purpose, but I find Microsoft is sometimes making changes strictly for appearance and not to improve functionality. A good example is (was) the indicators to the left of the file names in the tree in file explorer. To expand and contract the files in the tree you would click either “+” or “–“ in XP, in W7 they are a hollow triangle and a solid triangle, and in W10 they are a sideways pointing arrow and a darker down pointing v. What they represent, and how they function has not changed over the years, so I can only assume Microsoft felt the need to further confuse people when they created this new operating system.

For many seniors who have difficulty with change, since the introduction of W8, I have been installing Classic Shell, and I kept the green start button from XP and install that also. This gives a level of comfort and familiarity to many people. Changing the start menu does not hinder the functionality of the computer, as the programs run the same as before, and the control panel is still the same, the registry editor is the same, and the file explorer hasn’t changed since Vista.

The old adage “IF IT AIN’T BROKE, DON’T FIX IT” still applies

Doug Fraser

Ask a Question