Unnecessary software built in to Windows 10

Reaction score
Is Microsoft ever going to offer more than one OS System? You are like a restaurant with only one item on the menu.
You are bogged down with a bunch of software I'll never use eating up my memory, processor cycles and bandwidth. I am really beginning to think you are actively trying to drive people into using alternative such as Chrome or Linux.
I have been putting off the latest update because of just what I feared happened. With this new update I got an "Improvement" without my wanting it I now have a new software package "Your Phone" on my system. The only use I can see for this app is to MAKE IT EASIER FOR SOMEONE TO HACK ME!!!! because if you turn this little time bomb off in the task manager it just pops back up after a few minutes. It has gotten to the point that I will not leave my computer online unless I am sitting at the keyboard monitoring my system because I feel windows 10 is becoming less and less secure with every update. With this new My Phone app There is now another possible hack point. and now since it doesn't rely on the internet connection my system is not even safe offline. windows 10 with all it's bells and whistles isn't worth the powder to blow it up!! Unfortunately I am kind of stuck at the moment because I didn't check deep enough into the specs when I purchased a laptop recently. It has microsoft hardware installed that makes switching to Linux impossible (WAY TO GET AROUND THE NO MONOPOLY RULING!!) you #^%*?!!!!

So What it all boils down to are you going to actually attempt to make OPERATING SYSTEMS that are adaptable to the customers needs or are you continuing the path to being an Addware company. In which case I will be switching out my motherboard and my operating system the day after the warranty ends on this computer.

Attachments

• SNAG-19092917434400.png
    SNAG-19092917434400.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 232

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you do not wish to keep Your Phone you can uninstall it by doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • Click yes if prompted by the UAC dialog
  • At the prompt type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.YourPhone* -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

• Press Enter key to execute
  • Type exit at the prompt and press enter key to close PowerShell console

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
John, kindly refrain from using "you" in the message when it is meant to say Microsoft, we are volunteers offering help wherever possible. We are not, at least that I know of, associated directly with Microsoft and have no influence in their decisions. Using you in this context slams/slurs us all.

Reaction score
Interesting. I went and checked and the app is there. To make it work it insists I have to log into Edge. I never use Edge for anything...just don't like it. So if it wasn't for this thread I would never have seen it!

I see it has an uninstall button which is grey'd out, maybe it has to be initialized before it can be uninstalled. It is not in Startup.

Therefore I assume it is doing me no harm.

Reaction score
There has recently been a post from a member, stating that MS are looking to produce two versions of Windows - one with updates and one without. I am satisifed with the way my OS runs, and would welcome the alternative.
Bu it would , probably, not solve your dilemma. It will still have the extras. In fact, they are all general tools, which are useful to have handy, even if seldom used. Now and again a couple of basic games, which are easily uninstalled.
I have a very poor knpwledge of Linux, but, those that I have tried ahve an immense arsena lof bloating software, so be wary!
I have recently started using Tablets (Apple orientated) they also appear to have a great deal of surplus items.

Reaction score
I have a very poor knpwledge of Linux, but, those that I have tried ahve an immense arsena lof bloating software, so be wary!
Agreed but at least most of it is free and updates don't have to be done unless the user wants to.

Ask a Question