SOLVED up grade ram

Reaction score
i have a aser aspire laptop with intel core i3 ,4 gig of ram , can i upgrade this to 16 gig ?
[ model n15q1 ]
[e5-573-351j ]

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried www.crucial.com but that model n15q1 doesn't come up. There's more than a dozen Aspire models listed but they all have additional letter/number additions to the name. I have an older Aspire and it's limit is 8GB.

Reaction score
I would assume that is what is meant if the motherboard has 2 slots/sockets for RAM. The Notebook/Laptop may not run faster but processing of data will, most times programs will appear faster. Win10 64-bit requires 2GB RAM, 4GB is better and 8GB seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of users. I like to maximize Notebooks at 4GB or 8GB [but they are older] and use 16GB in my Desktops. I do have 2 Notebooks with 6GB but no problems, 1 was given me to rehab rather than junk it and I bought the other new about 10 years ago.

Reaction score
I would assume that is what is meant if the motherboard has 2 slots/sockets for RAM. The Notebook/Laptop may not run faster but processing of data will, most times programs will appear faster. Win10 64-bit requires 2GB RAM, 4GB is better and 8GB seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of users. I like to maximize Notebooks at 4GB or 8GB [but they are older] and use 16GB in my Desktops. I do have 2 Notebooks with 6GB but no problems, 1 was given me to rehab rather than junk it and I bought the other new about 10 years ago.
Thankyou, after reading your post i think i will go for 8gb , seems like that will be enough

Reaction score
i have a aser aspire laptop with intel core i3 ,4 gig of ram , can i upgrade this to 16 gig ?
[ model n15q1 ]
[e5-573-351j ]

in most instances the biggest fallacy people think about RAM is that RAM improves speed? Which is not the case, my suggestion for your Aspire i3 ,4GB is for you to upgrade (if its got a spinner HDD) to an SSD drive, as that will primarily increase the boot speed, response of your laptop by 100% and also use the "TRIM" cmd in Win-10 to make the SSD perform more efficiently and speedily also.

As far as RAM is concerned, you can do it through cmd prompt by going to cmd prompt and use it as administrator and use this command: wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices

image.jpg

Note:
the caption above is an example only, this shows that the MaxCapacity is 8388608 (in kilobytes) with a MemoryDevice of 2 (which btw this part tells you the Max slots of your mainboard, some OEM mainboards have either 1 or 2 or 4 slots etc for RAM, that is what this part tells you). but its not necessary what you have so, check how many RAM slots your computer has before determining the final max RAM per slot, as when you complete the cmd the "MemoryDevices" can give you a false figure of either 2 or 4 when you only have 1 or 2 slots, as this figure is configured for the OEM motherboard for your particular motherboard that may be used in laptops with 2 slots or desktops which might have 4 slots. So check how many slots you have before configuring the Max RAM per slot for your system.

So this is how you figure Max RAM and Max RAM per slot through cmd prompt, after you complete the cmd prompt command, you divide the MaxCapacity of 8388608 by 1048576 which = 8, this tells you that the maximum RAM capacity is 8 GB. If your motherboard has as in this example 2 memory slots only (check how many you have?) it means the maximum RAM capacity per slot is 8 divided by 2 = 4 GB per slot. This is the best and most precise way to determine your MAX RAM capacity of your motherboard. Good luck Merry Christmas and cheers :)

Ask a Question