SOLVED Office 2010 student upgrade to 2019

Reaction score
Had been using legal Microsoft Office 2010 Student version. Purchased legal 2019 Microsoft Office Student version and downloaded it. 2019 seems to work fine but keeps asking me if I want to run in compatibility mode. I checked the app list from Start, settings, apps list (modify /Uninstall) and see Office 2010 and Office 2019. I went to uninstall 2010 and it a message eventually said unsuccessful. Then go to Start and scroll down the apps list until Microsoft Office, click to open the list further and it shows Word 2010, Powerpoint 2010, and Excel 2010 with a green NEW listed under it. I don't see any reference to 2019 anywhere in the list.
If I click on Office 2010 New, the message states that it is about to install it from an image. I canceled out.
I have the Student 2019 start icons at the bottom of the screen and Word, Powerpoint, and Excel 2019 light up and work fine.

I did not try to uninstall Student 2019, remove Office 2010, and then reinstall 2019 because of fear of the unknown, It all works...but it just isn't right. I have been on the tech support side of this all my life but find I am not as venturesome as I used to be now that I am retired. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Some reference here

IF that is the "compatibility mode" your having an issue with.
I went to MS support and downloaded their uninstall and tried it the whole uninstall again. This time I don’t see duplicate Word entries for default app assignment and the entries for 2010 Office are not there but neither is 2019 student office. Yet I see individual icons and words for Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Starting Word, box appears stating MS Word isn’t default program for viewing and editing documents. “Do you want to select file types...”
Go to Settings, apps, default apps.
Document type extensions are not shown nor anything hinting document. I f I select ‘Set defaults by app” I get two listing of Word with no info as to which one. If I click either Word, then Manage, the next screen looks the same for each.
Can’t delete one of the Word listings.

Ask a Question