Updates do not Install

Reaction score
The latest cumulative and security updates do not complete installation and are subsequently removed. The logs show that this has happened before, with updates finally installing after multiple attempts. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo laptop. How can I assure update installation on the first try?

Reaction score
TRy the troubleshooter, first:

Open settings - Update and security - Troubleshoot.
Then choose Windows Update

Reaction score
An option: since I work on clients' computers I use Settings, Update and security. On that page further down is Learn more which leads me to the ability to download the updates. I get both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions and store on the bootable USB drives I've created using the MCT/Media Creation Tool. It helps having those available when there are issues with Internet speeds.

Reaction score
Thanks. I went through this w/o success. The failed update is KB4038788 and this may be too large for my machine to swallow at nearly 1 gig. I am running Windows 10 Home, version 1703. Today it successfully downloaded KB4049179 and has KB4041676 and KB4038788 in queue for restart. So I expect another failure and uninstall to come.

I really need a method to permanently avoid the offending update w/o eliminating download of security updates. Thoughts/suggestions?

Reaction score
I really need a method to permanently avoid the offending update w/o eliminating download of security updates. Thoughts/suggestions?

Hi,

Download the wushowhide.diagcab from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

After you click on the download link, you will be prompted to open or save
wushowhide.diagcab. Click on open to launch the troubleshooter
(Make sure you hit the advanced link on the first page that comes up and disables
the option to "apply repairs automatically". Then click “Next”.)
and proceed to follow the instructions to hide or block the problematic driver or Update.

The wushowhide.diagcab file can be saved to your system for future use.
You will need to run it each time you want to hide or show windows updates.

I just blocked the latest Creators version 1709 on my Windows 10 Home by using this method.

Last edited:
Reaction score
By any chance is your PC an HP and/or did you upgrade the computer to Windows 10 from 7? I found on multiple HP computers that the Windows 7 recovery partition wasn't large enough to handle some of the early Windows 10 updates. The upgrade went fine, but updates started failing to install. Apparently, Windows 10 doesn't install on a fresh drive with a recovery partition at all. It uses the system partition instead. I had to reformat the drive and do a "bare metal" reinstall to get past the problem, which of course meant going through all the prior updates again. Once your Windows 10 is activated, reinstallation can be done without any subsequent activation issues. It's just a pain going through the process.

By the way, you'll want that system partition to be at least 500MB. That's what mine is and it handled the Creators update just fine.

Reaction score
By any chance is your PC an HP and/or did you upgrade the computer to Windows 10 from 7? I found on multiple HP computers that the Windows 7 recovery partition wasn't large enough to handle some of the early Windows 10 updates. The upgrade went fine, but updates started failing to install. Apparently, Windows 10 doesn't install on a fresh drive with a recovery partition at all. It uses the system partition instead. I had to reformat the drive and do a "bare metal" reinstall to get past the problem, which of course meant going through all the prior updates again. Once your Windows 10 is activated, reinstallation can be done without any subsequent activation issues. It's just a pain going through the process.

By the way, you'll want that system partition to be at least 500MB. That's what mine is and it handled the Creators update just fine.

My machine is a Lenovo and I did convert to W10 from W7. Updates have installed seamlessly since the conversion almost two years ago so the problem that you describe is probably not applicable. Thank you for considering the problem and offering a fix.

Reaction score
One thing I've considered when "out and about" [on 'foreign' Wi-Fi] is to change how updates are delivered, set the Update and Security to the Metered Connection. As it is described not everything would be updated.

Reaction score
Hi,

Download the wushowhide.diagcab from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

After you click on the download link, you will be prompted to open or save
wushowhide.diagcab. Click on open to launch the troubleshooter
(Make sure you hit the advanced link on the first page that comes up and disables
the option to "apply repairs automatically". Then click “Next”.)
and proceed to follow the instructions to hide or block the problematic driver or Update.

The wushowhide.diagcab file can be saved to your system for future use.
You will need to run it each time you want to hide or show windows updates.

I just blocked the latest Creators version 1709 on my Windows 10 Home by using this method.

I tried this twice without success and continued to live with the update/uninstall routine until 4 days ago. Suddenly the update was successful and I had version 709 installed without any efforts. There are some changes to the desktop and tray icons but it seems to work without problems. SOLVED BUT DON'T KNOW HOW.

Ask a Question