SOLVED Upgrading Windows 10 Home 64 to Windows 10 Pro 64

Reaction score
I have a HP laptop that I want to upgrade from windows 10 home 64 bit to windows 10 pro 64 bit without doing a clean install and loosing all my installed apps. I have the pro 64 cd that I purchased. Any one had to do this and had any luck with it? I have 3 other systems in my home network that runs pro and I like it much better.

Reaction score
Upgrading the edition shouldn't be a problem, can get it from the Store, just be sure it's the same as you have installed, 64-bit.

Loss of data does occur if changing from the x86/32-bit version to the x64/64-bit version or vice versa but that's not what you'll be doing.

Reaction score
Back your data up in case things go wrong during the upgrade process!. ;)

Reaction score
If you with the install cd got a produkt key to win 10 pro, then just enter the produkt key within windows activation tab.

Reaction score
Yes, all you need is a Key - enter the key and MS will auto upgrade or downgrade as per the key indicates.

Reaction score
Here is where you enter your key. All MS will do is to install what is needed to change it from home to professional. It will not tamper with your software or layout. I have done this with three computers I have bought with windows 10 home. But for your peace of mind take a backup of your PC. I recommend Macrium Reflect. Even the free edition works very wel.

Reaction score
Thanks Jorn I did this method and got my pro and like it much better but am still unhappy wit te HP so I am getting rid of it. Set the HP back to new and am transfering the license to another laptop.

Ask a Question