SOLVED USB flash drive

Reaction score
This is an uncorrectable error in the drive software that controls the memory. I had a case like that once, however my Verbatim flash drive was replaced without a hassle. There is nothing you can do about it. I have tried it myself like erasing with DBAN, reformatting etc.
Nothing was working. Once a flash drive shows "write protected", it is done for.

Reaction score
I did not know that...i just checked several USB sticks and noticed that they no longer has the little write protect switch in the side.
I guess they are so cheap now that it doesn't matter, just curse loudly , copy the drive to another and throw it away

Reaction score
I only memory 'sticks' I have with the switch are some older SD Cards [up to 2GB] and the newer SDHC Cards [4GB and larger], also called camera cards. None of my Thumb drives have the switch.

Reaction score
It looks like a throw away job, because I've tried everything..Oh well another lesson learned in buying cheap
sandisk product. It will let me copy the stuff at least:confused:

Reaction score
Might want to go to the Sandisk website and get in contact with tech support. they may be able to help you. their forum may help as well:

Reaction score
I only memory 'sticks' I have with the switch are some older SD Cards [up to 2GB] and the newer SDHC Cards [4GB and larger], also called camera cards. None of my Thumb drives have the switch.
No new , multi GB thumb drives have the switch. I have a 2004 one with only 256 Mb that does.

I have several SD drives that do of course, My Audi used those instead of thumb drives for audio...and of course the Raspberry Pis

Reaction score
It is strange, because I bought a few of Play.com flash drives that have served me well for the last 10 to 15 years and
they're still going strong. Sometimes it's not always the bigger the name, the better.

Ask a Question