Used mobo

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good used Z97 mobo on the cheap. I'm looking to resurrect my Intel build. My Gigabyte GA-Z97 gaming 7 mobo crapped out on me just after the warranty went out. So I've been on my old AMD rig....and I mean old but she works....I have been using her for the past 2 years.

Anybody....please!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What is the desire for the Z97 designation?
That seems to push the price up significantly.
You may have to set your sights a little lower and settle for a different LGA1150 motherboard which is what you'll need to support that i7 Devils Canyon 4790K processor.

Have a look here and see what they have that might fit the bill to get you over the hump for the time being.
There are some mini and micro boards that may serve the purpose and be a little easier on your budget constraints.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seriously??
We all three bought identical motherboards and processors.
One is still working flawlessly and the owner of that particular motherboard..... ding, ding, ding..... never overclocked anything.
BabySerious.jpg

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Seriously??
We all three bought identical motherboards and processors.
One is still working flawlessly and the owner of that particular motherboard..... ding, ding, ding..... never overclocked anything.
View attachment 11778
I said it allows for OC'ing.......not that I did. But still......funny, made me laugh! I did do a little OC'ing truth be told. Who knows!

Stuff on the board just quit working. The first thing I noticed that wasn't working was the 140mm exhaust fan. So I switched that to a molex to 3 pin cable off PSU.....got that working. So the exhaust fan header crapped out. Then the same for the CPU fan header....had to use the opt cpu fan header, which is used for AIO pumps/fans. Then the BIOS 1 and 2 switches went out....it had a dual BIOS setup as you know. When that went....I kept getting a boat load of code errors and it would never boot up. No post beep, nothing but those error codes.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yep.....I found one on ebay....but holy FN hell.....damn thing used is $165....I paid $179 for it brand new. Then there's the fact that its used with no guaranty or warranty. So do I pull the trigger........

Well I pulled the trigger.....well see in 5 - 7 business days. The guy had a 100% rating and said it's certified tested to work...what ever that means. But we shall see.

I also sprung for some other bits and pieces.....new case, intel cpu aftermarket cpu cooler and some extra case fans. I'll post some pics when all said and done.

This was less than $500 vs the AMD setup that would have cost me almost $1200. If this works as I hope it will....it should last me for 2 years and then go big on a complete new build.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Well....2 more pieces came in today....mobo and case fans. All I need now to start the build is cpu cooler.....hopefully it will arrive later today or tomorrow.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the pieces have finally arrived....I just finished putting her back together. I had some major help from my 2nd oldest daughter. Being half blind really sucks....but she managed to hook every thing up for me.

She's running great. OMG.....windows ISO on a usb 3.0 flash drive....took less than 10 minutes to do a clean install. So all drivers are installed....and holy hell, windows10 installed all but 3 of 10. Not to shabby.

It took me a bit to fiddle around in the BIOS to get the OC on my RAM going. I had to do it manually.....as both XMP profiles dorked/locked up the system. That is until I set the Dram voltage. Now she's at 1600 mhz and stable.

The nightmare of it all was DL all my software and setting all that up. Then setting up the Mail app with all my damn emails. Tomorrow.....all my games.

Now for some sleep.

Reaction score
I hope it all works out for you Bass. :):):)

I only have 4 computers at home, 2 laptops and 2 PC's (one I built myself). that keeps me on my toes, along with doing Linux as well, I keep myself busy when I am not gaming!. :):):):)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm up at the butt crack of dawn again.....after powering off late last night and powering on this morning. All is well.

Ask a Question