User Account Control Blocking All Executables

Reaction score
After two days of trouble shooting I am at wits end. Somehow a User Account has been created with a name related to my Sonos Controller app. It's called Sonos Wireless HiFi System. For all but a very few executables, when I try to use them I get the UAC window, which lists the executable I'm trying, but asks for an administrative password for the Sonos Wireless HiFi System. I did not create this User Account so I have no password. I have tried pretty much every password I've used for anything in the past. No luck.

I've tried uninstalling the Sonos app, but the notice comes up preventing it. I've tried editing the registry to remove the app, but the notice appears. I've tried similar things to delete the User Account. I've tried to reset or recover, but the notice appears. I've tried too many things to list, but whatever I try to execute I get this notice - even for attempts to edit or delete.

SWHS is listed on the start menu as a User Account, just under Guest. It is NOT listed in my User Account Controls. I am baffled.

Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Randall and welcome to the forum.
Try identifying the user account through the command prompt.
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
net user
hit enter
this should provide a list of user accounts on your computer
with the name of the problem account, type for example
SonosUser /active:no (where SonosUser is the problem account)
hit enter
you should see something like "the command completed successfully.
type
exit
hit enter
reboot
To reverse this simply go back to an admin command prompt and type
SonosUser /active:yes (where SonosUser is the account you wish to reactivate)
hit enter
Best of luck
Randy (aka @Trouble)

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I already tried to access the Command Prompt and was locked out of it as well. I gave up yesterday after trying about a billion different things. I took it to a computer repair shop (the first time I've ever had to do that!) and the guy there used some diagnostics and then worked magic, fixing it. Basically, the Sonos Controller had created it's own GUI inaccessible administrator account, at the same time locking me out as administrator. He could not figure out how it happened, but he was able to access the command prompt ultimately, killing the admin privileges for the Sonos account and transferring them back to my account.

I wish I could detail the processes he used so I could share them, but I can't. I watched over his shoulder, but he did so many things to dig deep into the problem I couldn't catch them all. Anyway, having always been able to troubleshoot and fix any software or hardware problem, my pride was terribly bruised, but my frustration was ended and the computer is running smoothly and correctly.

Thanks again!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the follow-up, much appreciated and glad to hear that you managed to get it sorted out.

I actually purchase a third party software product called PCUnlocker (Enterprise) which allows me to create a bootable CD (for either or both UEFI and Legacy BIOS) from which I can then manipulate and edit any accounts on my system, including enabling the normally hidden, built in Administrator's Account.
http://www.pcunlocker.com/buy.html Best $50 bucks I ever spent.

I've also posted in this forum a couple of times, links regarding how to enable the hidden administrator's account for free.
They both involve a little bit of work, but they're both handy to have if you need to do something like this and don't want to spend any money to do it.
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/
Which is the slightly easier of the two methods
AND
http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/
A bit more complicated.

Ask a Question