Very random blue screens

Reaction score
Ah, then in that case it's not overclocked. :)

If you can prove that the RAM is not stable, and the only guaranteed way to do so is to run with one stick at a time, then assuming it's in warranty Corsair will replace it. But you need proof which you don't have yet - it could still be the SSD for example.
Hmm. Yeah, it is definitely a tricky issue to properly diagnose. I ran the commands you said in an earlier post, all came back with no issues. I still haven't had a crash since I reseated the m.2 drive like you recommended. So I shall try taking a ram stick out as the next step when or if a get another crash. Would be amazing if reseating the drive fixed the problem. But I won't get my hopes up.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Never cared much for so called "memory profiles". XMP by definition stands for Extreme Memory Profile and in function is more or less a generic overclock. I always disable it, consult the RAM manufacturer for recommended timings and voltages and set them accordingly.

Reaction score
Never cared much for so called "memory profiles". XMP by definition stands for Extreme Memory Profile and in function is more or less a generic overclock. I always disable it, consult the RAM manufacturer for recommended timings and voltages and set them accordingly.

So disable the XMP profile and manually over clock my ram to the timings and speed that is printed on the side of the dimms?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So disable the XMP profile and manually over clock my ram to the timings and speed that is printed on the side of the dimms?
I did not suggest "over clocking" anything.
I only suggested that you set your RAM in accordance with the timings and voltages suggest by the RAM Manufacturer.
Often, actually more often than not, the optimized default settings in the BIOS is all you need to configure and the RAM will likely be identified correctly and no further attention need be applied.

It's been my experience that Windows 10 can be finicky (for lack of a better word) when it comes to RAM and will glitch for the tiniest of memory issues that previous versions of Windows would have just shrugged off.
Probably because of its' newer and more robust memory management handling system.

That's why I lean towards setting my timings and voltages manually
OR
At least use something like CPUz to confirm that all are being identified correctly.

Reaction score
Motherboards can also be very picky about ram. I had an Asus board years ago that I was given. I couldn't understand why most every program ran fine, except a couple games (and very randomly). Most games ran fine. Finally found a forum that said that specific board didn't play nice with some ram, and the suggestion was to downclock the ram. After doing that, it never blue screened again. I eventually bough a different brand. Just something to look in to.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the suggestion was to downclock the ram.
Same here, I've had to down clock some DDR3 (1333 / 667mhz) down to 1066 / 533mhz by dropping the timings down to 7, 7, 7, 20.
Found out later that if I just bumped my memory voltage from 1.5v to 1.6v, I could return the timings to factory recommended settings of 9, 9, 9, 24

Reaction score
I did not suggest "over clocking" anything.
I only suggested that you set your RAM in accordance with the timings and voltages suggest by the RAM Manufacturer.
Often, actually more often than not, the optimized default settings in the BIOS is all you need to configure and the RAM will likely be identified correctly and no further attention need be applied.

It's been my experience that Windows 10 can be finicky (for lack of a better word) when it comes to RAM and will glitch for the tiniest of memory issues that previous versions of Windows would have just shrugged off.
Probably because of its' newer and more robust memory management handling system.

That's why I lean towards setting my timings and voltages manually
OR
At least use something like CPUz to confirm that all are being identified correctly.
Right. I only meant that if I run the RAM without XMP enabled, the RAM only runs at 2133Mhz. How would I get the RAM to run at the advertised speed of 3200Mhz without XMP?

Reaction score
Ok. So I have disabled XMP. and just went into the bios and set the timings, frequency and voltage to what corsair says on their website for my specific RAM. So "not overclocking" Just setting the everything manually. So I will see how that goes. If it's still not stable, Is it safe to bump the voltage up? curranty It's at 1.35v. I really have no idea about this stuff. I had always just turned on XMP and left everything else set to default. I don't really like the idea of "down clocking" the RAM seeing as I paid for RAM that is rated to run at said speeds.

Reaction score
If it solves the issue, I would check to see if there's a bios update for your motherboard (I didn't read back to see if that was already suggested). It sounds more likely that it would be a motherboard compatibility issue, not a ram issue. Like I said a few posts ago, I had a very similar issue with an old Asus board. The ram ran fine on a different motherboard, and ran in the Asus after downclocking.

Ask a Question