Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane

Reaction score
My video thumbnails in preview pane wont update. It shows me the preview of the first video thumbnail but when i select another, the preview remains the same in the preview pane.
I was using windows 8.1 -- and didn't have this problem -- when I upgraded to Windows 10. I like everything about 10 so far EXCEPT this.

Someone in another forum recommended installing VLC media player and associating all video files with it. This worked for some users who were experiencing this issue, but it didn't work for me unfortunately.

Anyone else experiencing this, and if so, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Here is a video of the issue, if anybody is able to help: https://vimeo.com/138204107

I'm really surprised there hasn't been more said about this, and the only fix--for some people at least--has been to install vlc and set it as the default video player, which is a pretty shoddy workaround, imo.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
I went to Best Buy today and did some tests and ALL the machines there experience the same bug -- and all are running Windows 10 Home Edition build 10240.

Again, if someone found an alternate fix beside the vlc one, please offer it here -- thanks in advance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems to be some sort of glitch.
I have the same issues with video in .mp4 and .wmv format, but.....
I have a bunch of other vids in .mov format and that seems to work fine in the preview pane.
No idea why.

Reaction score
Running Windows 10 Pro and having the same problem. Still looking at how to get around this. Tell me how to find the build number if you require it for helping out here. TIA

Last edited:
Reaction score
To find out your Windows build number type 'System Info' into the "search" field in the taskbar, then select 'System Information' when it appears at the top.
See attached screenshot:

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    123.7 KB · Views: 651

Ask a Question