SOLVED Webcam no longer in device manager after windows 10 upgrade

Reaction score
When I first did the windows 10 upgrade to my wife's Sony Vaio Laptop, the webcam disappeared out of Device manager after the upgrade.I tried several of the fixes that people posted online and on youtube to no avail. (BUMMER). I then decided to try something a little radical. First I unplugged the power supply and removed the battery, then I went into youtube and found a video on how to change out the lcd screen on the vaio, to find out how to gain access to the camera without breaking anything when I removed the basil. I made my way to the camera board at the top of the screen and then with a little help from a small pair of needle nose pliers I removed the USB type connector and ribbon cable, that was being held in place by a small piece of a extra stickey type tape. I then plugged the connector back in and re-applied the tape.Then replaced the battery I had removed before I had started this process, and rebooted the laptop, and (VIOLA) there was my webcam in device manager under imaging devices.
Now the camera works with the video software in windows 10 and a package that came with the laptop. This problem just happened again with windows anniversary update and was fixed again with the same procedure. Do not attempt this if you do not feel comfortable going behind the basil, make sure you replace all the screws back in place on re-assembly and watch out you do not pinch any wires in the hinge at the bottom of the screen. Also make sure you get the little rubber bumpers covering the four screws holding the basil in place, you could damage the screen when you close laptop if you forget them.
GOOD LUCK!!!
AP

Reaction score
This thread was created to answer the problem with the webcam, no one else, that I found. While doing a ton of searching on youtube and internet had come up with this fix. I think Microsoft needs to pay a little closer attention to the webcam issue in their updates and make sure that if there is a webcam installed before the update, that there is still one installed after the update.
Hope this helps you all.
AP

Ask a Question