What does "sync" mean in Windows 10

Reaction score
In these Computer forums I keep reading the word sync, can somebody please spell it out to me what sync means. Kindergarten language will not offend me.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
if you have Windows 10 and more than one device, you can set it up to sync a lot of settings including accounts, browsers favorites and more.

But sync can also apply to your email. If you have a IMAP email account you can send and receive emails from any device and all the emails will appear in the same folders in the other devices. The older email accounts used a technology called POP3 and whatever you sent or received on one device didn't necessarily appear on the other one.

If you have a particular scenario where you are curious about sync, maybe you could explain it and someone here could give you the appropriate description for your situation.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sync (synchronising) is a way of keeping settings and data the same across multiple devices - here's what Microsoft has to say about it:

When sync is turned on, Windows keeps track of the settings you care about and sets them for you on all your Windows 10 devices.

You can choose to sync such things as web browser settings, passwords, and color themes. If you turn on Other Windows settings, Windows syncs some device settings (for things like printers and mouse options), File Explorer settings, and notification preferences.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK thanks Old Guy and Ian, I think I get it. Actually I don't think it is significant for me and Mum, as I have my new Windows 10, and tomorrow her Windows 7 is going into the local experts to get revamped. It is as slow as hell, has some boogies and generally way behind. I have had a quote of $70 to $80 to get it back to normal. So I believe, "A happy wife means a happy life", for me of coarse.

Reaction score
Synchronized is the original word; but as the youngin's took over the world they "had" to shortin' it (insert tolerant smile here)

Reaction score
In these Computer forums I keep reading the word sync, can somebody please spell it out to me what sync means. Kindergarten language will not offend me.
Thanks in advance.

Sync basically means refresh. Say your using an email client and you run the app your emails are on your ISP server and those email are copied to your email client so you can view them. It does the same thing if you have email on your phone. So basically refreshing or up to date showing the new email since you last logged in.

Ask a Question