Windows 10 Mail does not sync automatically

Reaction score
Hello,

I've configured several e-mail accounts in Mail. Three of them are Microsoft Outlook accounts and two are Gmail accounts. For each account I've set Mail to:

(a) Fetch new messages as they arrive
(b) Download messages from all time

There is no other special setting.

However, Mail never seems to fetch anything automatically as they arrive. In fact, I always receive my e-mail on my phone long before they show up in my inbox. As a test, for most of yesterday and today I waited about an hour after messages arrived in my phone, and each time I found that until I had manually synced the account, the messages did not appear in Mail.

Some additional information that might help to solve the problem: I am certain that my Internet connection is working, because I get Skype messages in real time; I am sure my computer has the correct drivers, because not only did I install everything from the manufacturer's site, I even ensured that there were no errors in Device Manager; my computer has plenty of RAM and CPU horsepower. There is no reason for Mail not to sync except if it has a bug.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a solution or a workaround?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. And the sync do not work in Mail , Calendar and kontakt.

For mail it works when I send mail and then I press sync button. But not when mail comes.

As the calendar program do not have I sync button the only way to have it to sync is to create a new activity. Then everything syncs.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. When I sign on in the morning and go to Mail, the Yahoo screen opens with no mail. I must manually press the Sync button to then get my mail. I have to do this every time I logon to check my email.
I can't find any place to select auto-sync. Let me know if you find a resolution.

Reaction score
This one will be hard to believe!!!

I have a W10 desktop & a W10 laptop. After setting them both up to use the Windows mail icon (Start menu) I found that the laptop downloaded emails, quite happily, to my laptop, whereas the Desktop didn't ever download any emails at all to my two email addresses.
I tried all the server settings and various other recommended checkouts, but finally, after two weeks of trying I finally gave up trying and downloaded the Thunderbird Mail app.
This Thunderbird app immediately download all my stuff, for both accounts, and all was (and still is) well.
The "hard to believe" mentioned, above, is because, after the Thunderbird app was up and running, I went back to the Mail app, ready to delete it, only to find that it had started working properly.
My conclusion is that the Thunderbird app did something, during the setting up process, which had the effect of also fixing the W10 Mail app set up!!! The actual SMTP/IMAP settings are very much the same!

Reaction score
Scrap my previous posting. Windows Mail has returned to the failing state - i.e. does not download any mail to either of my email addresses.
Put in all the pop/IMAP/SMTP settings, etc.as used in outlook & Thunderbird - but no joy.
Tried without Antivirus and Firewall - no joy.
Will stick with the very nifty Thunderbird until MS fix this app.
Note:- My 2nd pc (Toshiba Laptop) on W10 seems to work fine and downloads mail thru the Mail app as it should. Settings exactly the same as the W10 desktop.

Reaction score
Ted I feel you. I had the same problem. I went through hundreds of topics and tried absolutely everything but non of the solutions worked. I had a problem with automatically syncing my gmail account connected to Windows Mail. Manual syncing works but I really needed an instant notification.

I've discovered that it worked somehow on my mobile connection when I was was out of the office today. Went through all settings and discovered that auto syncing doesn't work for my office wifi as I had disabled option automatically connect to this network on my wifi list. When I turned it on, my syncing works...

I hope it will help you.

EDIT: Also make sure you are not working on battery saver as if you do then syncing won't work but I presume you know that already :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question