What is the green bar in Windows 10?

Reaction score
Hello,

What is the green bar in Windows 10, and what does it do?

Thank you

Screenshot (16).png

Reaction score
I think you are in "Devices and Prnters"?

I am guessing, your picture details are not to clear, but, right click thedesktop and Personalise.
Scroll down to Colours. I am thinking you have the item " Show accent colour on title bars and borders" ticked on?

You can change the colour, or, click it off.

As I said, just a guess, but worth the try.

Reaction score
You usually see a green bar when Windows is refreshing the icons on the window. Usually it is too quick to see or finishes quickly. I have seen this under Documents or any window with many files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... it's just a progress indicator.
Windows is just trying to parse the actual content to be displayed.

You see it more often if you are performing a deep search of a drive's contents in File Explorer.

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks to both of you. I do not have it - just ben experimenting - but now I will have to find out why!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... rarely, but I have seen it happen myself.
No idea if it is produced by perhaps an icon cache problem or just some changes in the number of devices it has to enumerate in order to display their respective icons.

Mine generally pops right up, but on occasion it can take a few seconds and the green progress indicator appears briefly.
Almost like it forgets what goes where or what's suppose to be displayed.
IDK.... it's hardly worth even acknowledging, but the OP wanted to know "what it is and what it does"
The short answer is, it doesn't actually do anything sort of like the spinning circle or the old spinning hour glass. It just indicates that it's actively doing something. I see it occasionally too, when I open "Network" in file explorer.
What is the green bar in Windows 10, and what does it do?

Reaction score
I could not replicate it in that perticlar row, (inthe op's picture. But, at the moment I am using Windows 11. Perhaps it is appliceable to Windows 10.

Reaction score
I see it when I attach an external drive that has an OS. I'm trying to access data, and was able to get what I thought I needed. When I went back to get more the green progress bar rendered the hdd unreadable, messed with crc.

Ask a Question