What upgrade do I need to access files on different PCs?

Reaction score
I have two laptops Older HP Pavillion and Newer Acer) that I only have used at home/on my LAN. I have Window10 Home on both. I am pretty satisfied with each, but now I would like to be able to access the HP from the Acer as simply and as cheaply as possible.

What upgrade to each PC will I need?

Reaction score
What do you mean by 'able to access'? Do you just want to be able to access files and folders on the other laptop from each, or do you want to be able to control the other laptop from each (so that you can operate both laptops from one of them)?

eds

Reaction score
Have you considered OneDrive? I do the same thing, but I use OneDrive to keep the most recent versions of all my files available to both machines.

Reaction score
I have two laptops Older HP Pavillion and Newer Acer) that I only have used at home/on my LAN. I have Window10 Home on both. I am pretty satisfied with each, but now I would like to be able to access the HP from the Acer as simply and as cheaply as possible.

What upgrade to each PC will I need?
No upgrades are required. Just allow "sharing" with other devices on LAN and WITHOUT password and you got it done.

Reaction score
What do you mean by 'able to access'? Do you just want to be able to access files and folders on the other laptop from each, or do you want to be able to control the other laptop from each (so that you can operate both laptops from one of them)?
For example: I would like to access an Excel file on my HP from my Acer and edit it from my Acer.

I'm not having any success because when I try to access a file on my HP, I am required to provide a user ID and password for the HP and I have been unable to figure out what those are.

Reaction score
If you want to actually work on one computer from another, check out TeamViewer. I use it when I travel to work on my home desktop PC from a small laptop or even an iPad on the road. Because the heavy lifting is being done on my home computer (whose desktop you see on your remote machine), it doesn't matter how underpowered your travel computer is or even how lousy your WiFi is. If you're just using it for personal use, it's free.

Reaction score
For example: I would like to access an Excel file on my HP from my Acer and edit it from my Acer.

I'm not having any success because when I try to access a file on my HP, I am required to provide a user ID and password for the HP and I have been unable to figure out what those are.

This depends on how you access each PC. If they are both local accounts with the same password, as long as you enable sharing, you should be able to access file on one PC from the other PC.
If you are using different local accounts then you need to give share / give permission for the account on the other PC to access the files.

If you use the same Microsoft account on both PCs together with OneDrive, sharing is easiest.

If you use OneDrive on each PC with different Microsoft accounts, then you need to share the drive (or a folder), with the other Microsoft account.

Sharing and access is also affected by what you tell each system about the network environment. If they both understand that they are in a “safe” home or work network environment, then they will make themselves known on the network. If either PC thinks it is in an insecure environment it will be harder to find /access.

If you want to access files on one PC from the other PC when you are away from home with one of the PCs, then, as another respondent has suggested, TeamViewer is an excellent program to use for remote access.

Reaction score
Get the free version of drop box and save those files there or you can use google drive to store them on the cloud.

Reaction score
May I throw something else in entirely??

I use the program TEAMVIEWER to access files remotely. It is a software that gives you access to remote computers anywhere, even in your own LAN. With this program you can open files and edit them directly on the remote computer and one even can copy files from one computer to another. Teamviewer is free for personal use but has a limit on how many computers can connect (I think it was something like 8 Computer, but I am not sure). I use it to maintain my work computer remotely. Has never failed me so far.

Reaction score

In the sharing setting you have to grant admin level read, write and edit permissions. Normally only the basic read rights are granted.

Reaction score
I was a bit flummoxed with this, but it is just the name of the other machine (your HP) and the password you use to log in to windows on that machine. The machine name shows just above the password box.

Ask a Question