Need Help Got A New Pc With A Down Grade To Windows 10 Want To Upgrade To Windows 7

DG.

Reaction score
I was gifted an awesome pc. Unfortunately windows 10 is making me hate my new pc. I heard people talking about reverting back to windows 8 or 7 if they upgraded to 10. Does this apply to those who unfortunately wasn't given a choice because windows 10 is appearing on most new pc's out there? I hate to have to return my entire brand new pc to best buy and explain why I want my money back on an awesome computer! WORST IS the thought of going to the person (he too hates windows 10 but couldn't find a new pc with windows 7) who gifted me the pc and request the gift recite. I LOVE THE GIFT and appreciate the pc itself BUT I HATE windows 10.

DG.

Reaction score
I know there are downgrade rights. Unfortunately it might not be given to everyone. why? We should all be given downgrade rights. PLEASE NEED ANSWERS ON DOWNGRADE RIGHTS!

DG.

Reaction score
I am irate. I hate windows 10 and I am looking every where for answers. I cant stand the fact my new 1 week and a half old pc came with windows 10. what are our options to downgrade. If I do a full reset on my computer can I deny a windows 10 installation and install windows 7?

Its not right that we would have to return a brand new computer to the stores just because it came installed with windows 10 with no option to DOWNGRADE!

Reaction score
DG stop with the duplicate posting. If someone has an answer for you, they will see your post (all of them).

Reaction score
Gideon, it is a new PC there is no prior OS.

I suggest: Buy a copy of Windows 7 Home. One of the big mail order places probably still has some. But DO NOT buy one via Ebay or similar from a supplier that gets one from China...it may not be real and could even have embedded malware. Then reload the PC completely. You may have to download a zillion updates from before 1st level support ended.

Or...just get used to Windows 10. It is not all that bad once you tune it up to get rid of the junk apps it comes with.

Reaction score
Gideon, it is a new PC there is no prior OS.

I suggest: Buy a copy of Windows 7 Home. One of the big mail order places probably still has some. But DO NOT buy one via Ebay or similar from a supplier that gets one from China...it may not be real and could even have embedded malware. Then reload the PC completely. You may have to download a zillion updates from before 1st level support ended.

Or...just get used to Windows 10. It is not all that bad once you tune it up to get rid of the junk apps it comes with.
I do not believe the thread title at the time of my post said anything about a new PC. But I could be wrong..

Reaction score
Can you tell us what it is you don't like or can't get on with?

Generally, new pc's are more stable than upgraded ones.

Alan

Reaction score
I do not believe the thread title at the time of my post said anything about a new PC. But I could be wrong..

The thread title did not but the OPs text did.
Talks about returning the new PC to Best Buy and having to go to the person who 'gifted' him the pc for the 'recite' ( receipt I guess)

Reaction score
Microsoft does not want people running Windows 7 or 8. They only gave downgrade rights to windows 8 customers (for a very short time) because of public outcry. With 200,000,000 running Windows 10, that isn't going to happen. And no manufacture is going to sell a PC with a seven year old operating system. Also, Microsoft ended mainstream support for 7 last January, and they end full support, including updates in 4 years. Sorry you're dissatisfied. Like above, I'd recommend buying a copy.

Reaction score
The thread title did not but the OPs text did.
Talks about returning the new PC to Best Buy and having to go to the person who 'gifted' him the pc for the 'recite' ( receipt I guess)
I look at the title and go from there , the title seemed clear ,no mention of a new PC. That being said he either has to purchase Windows 7 and install it which may affect the warranty or get used to Windows 10 the way everyone else did.

Reaction score
The title is an attempt at sarcasm, but a little difficult in its wording. As Tim says, the text explains more.
But I think the operative word is "gifted". I assume that, whether or not with a money exchange, the op has inherited a brand new computer with only Windows 10 installed. There is, therefore, no possibility of returning to an earlier OS.

We have no idea of his relationship with the person who "gifted" it, but, if he can obtain the receipt, then there should be no problem with returning the machine for a full refund.
Alternatively, I presume the op has been using an earlier OS on another machine(?). If he has an installation disk, then a simple answer would be to set up a dual boot.
Last choice, with which I agree with reservation, as Gideon says, "get used to Windows 10 the way everyone else did."

Reaction score
I wouldn't think the OP will get his money back on a PC that isn't faulty.
W10 is here better get use to it which to be honest isn't that bad.

We don't like changes that's human nature but we have to move with the times.
I was with XP for many years and found that a good OS i went from XP to W7 but when the chance of a free upgrade to W10 came along i took it and now wouldn't want to go back.

In short get use to W10 its here to stay as MS have said its there last OS or get left behind on an older OS. ;)

Reaction score
Yes. I was on Windows 2000 pro at work and moved to Linux when I retired and lost my MSDN access. Took one look at Windows 8 and bought W7. I am happy enough with W10. I'm on the Insider program so I have had well over a year to get used to it and I understand that an OS for all platforms has to have some compromises especially if it has to do touch.

Reaction score
I too stayed with W-XP for years longer than maybe I should have. Then I did the same with W7. But W-10 came out (and I now have multiple computers ) so I gave it a try. Don't care for W-10. By that I mean the Graphical User Interface (GUI). I don't use a touch screen so I find the tiles annoying.

SO, I changed the GUI by installing ClassicShell, a FREE download. Now I'm running W-10 with a W-7 GUI. Lovin' it, now.

Reaction score
The problem with Downgrading a new PC is hardware. If the hardware has a feature built in that needs Window 10 to operate at its fullest intention then that can be more problems then it is worth. Simple fix is Classic Shell or take the time and get familiar with Windows 10. The only safe option is build your own system to use Windows 7 and get the Windows 7 disc from an authorized dealer. Remember Windows 7 is on the way out as for as support so you could be leaving your computer vulnerable to hackers.

Reaction score
Here's the end of my big long story. Had a Dell N5050 which was 7 home. Purchased upgrade to 7 Pro. Purchased Dell 5345 with 8.1. Upgraded to 10. Didn't care for tiles . Got on his forum and discovered classic shell and how to double boot. N5050 is now 7 Pro and 10 Pro after a reset this PC installed 10 Pro over 7 Pro and wiped it out. Purchased 7 Pro from Amazon and restored it.

Meanwhile a little knowledge is dangerous-managed to brick Dell 5345 by misuse of Mini Tool Partition Wizard. It wouldn't even boot. Junked it. Latest effort is purchase of a new 7 Pro from Dell which will remain untouched.

Oh well-live and learn.

Reaction score
Your bricked one. Take the disk out and attach it via an external cable to a USB port. Use the DISKPART utility to wipe all partitions. Put it back in the original PC and rebuild from a backup or a new build.

Reaction score
How can you brick a PC without destroying the bios? Every one I have ever owned ( many!) can be brought back to life with a Linux distro on a CD...or a USb stick for a modern machine. The worst one I had to replace the motherboard battery to get the bios alive but Linux brought it back after that.

Ask a Question